Warfarin level tests

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
AVO
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Warfarin level tests

Post by AVO »

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if the clinic at Lagoa offer the INR level check. A client of ours needs it twice whilst he is out there and whilst I am sure Portimao offer it, it would be easier and less disruptive for them to go to Lagoa. Is it straightforward? Any advice would be gratefully received - Thank you!
Macherts
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Warfarin level tests

Post by Macherts »

I had the same query in 2010.

I recieved a response to my enquiry from Michael Crane, which may be of use. We had no need in the end to have the test done, luckily

Michael Crane wrote:
CM wrote:
...btw Dr Kenneth Viera is in the village. I will try and dig his number out for you

Unless it has changed it is already in FAQ:
Dr.Kenneth Vieira, Dutch with perfect English and very pleasant man indeed. Tel.282 350 780

Yes thats the one Ive got MC..he is a very nice man...been to him a couple of times.
his email is :kvieira@sx4all.nl
Aitch
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aitch »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can get it done in the Pharmacy.
Rampage
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Rampage »

I had an INR test done by the young German (I think) doctor who has the surgery above Smilers. Nice guy but I was suprised when he just took a finger-prick quantity and carried out an instant test on a small electronic device. The reading was way too low and a later lest (not in Portugal), requiring a larger blood sample, gave a truer reading. That said, it is a routine test so it should be possible to get it carried out at any clinic in Lagoa. The results may take a couple of days or so to process, depending on where the lab is located. The pharmacy on the in-road sold me Warfarin (prescription not strictly necessary but the pharmacist likes one to confirm dosage).
Viking
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Viking »

The small device is probably a Coaguchek XS which I also use and certainely did in Carvoeiro too. It´s made for hometesting and the reading is equal the one in a
proper lab. As an example yesterday I hometested INR 2.7 at home, had the test at the hospital clinic yesterday and the result came in the mail today and was INR 2.8. So only 0.1 difference. Thanks to this I only test every three months in the hospital, rest of the time at home. Quite good as good holidaying tends to put
the INR up as I´m sure you have noticed!
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

I feel sure that the pharmacy near the square will be able to do this test but if you confirm exactly what it is called I will ask them. I have had blood sugar and cholesterol levels checked there using two different small machines with blood collected from a finger prick. The tests cost me €2 each.
AVO
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by AVO »

Thank you all. Steve I believe it is called an INR test - If you can check I would be very grateful. Thank you.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

Unfortunately my optomism was illfounded. I spoke to the Farmacia today and was informed that they do not do this test and that it would be necessary to go to the Centro de Saude at Lagoa to get it done.
AVO
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by AVO »

Thank you so much anyway! It is really appreciated.