New to CVO

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
jupiter1972
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

New to CVO

Post by jupiter1972 »

Hi, after almost 20 years of holidaying in Puerto Pollensa in Majorca we have decided it is time to try CVO as we have heard so many good reports. We are staying in a villa near L'Orange and we're wondering how long it will take to walk in to town. Any other tips or advice on what to do, where to eat etc greatly appreciated. We have hired a car for our stay. :D
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: New to CVO

Post by bruce »

We spent many holidays in Pollensa before coming to Carvoeiro.
You wont be disappointed with the dining options, we like A Gale, Jota Lita, Maxime, Happys and Primavera, there are many more and I am sure you will get more recommendations.
A trip to the Monchique Mountains is worthwhile as is a visit to Silves.
There are many other resorts worth visiting such as Lagos and Alvor.
You are close to Intermarche supermarket where you can purchase food/wine/etc.
Enjoy your visit !
jupiter1972
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by jupiter1972 »

Hi Bruce, that's great. Thank you for the tips :)
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Hello Jupiter
I echo Bruces sentiments , Carvoeiro is a lovely place to visit or to live it has so much going for it, a plethora of places to eat, bars to drink, lovely square overlooking the beach with views out to sea, a great water park 10 minutes away in Lagoa, plenty of small beaches & coves all along the coast & of course lovely people.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

And who knows in September you may meet Pato and his judy. :lol:
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

The walk into town will be about 20/30 minutes. Problem is from L'Orange is all downhill to town centre so uphill after a few beers and a fine meal!
jupiter1972
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by jupiter1972 »

Can't wait, looking forward to it even more now!
jupiter1972
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by jupiter1972 »

Thanks Smudger, walk in and taxi home :wink:
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

How long are you here for Jupiter?.....we start some country walks on 8 June viewforum.php?f=39

At least try some coastal walks :
. along the boardwalk ( start by church, top of hill on left , looking at sea
.along cliffs ( from end of board walk) at Algar Seco to Centiennes , or on to Benagil
. Benagil to Marinha and on to Senora de Rocha
don't forget to visit Feraguedo.

Villa Nova will be near where you are staying : nice restaurant and quieter than the town......and if you like 60s music and The Eagles, don't forget The Jailhouse .
Have fun
jupiter1972
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by jupiter1972 »

Thanks Geoff, I'll definitely look into the walks!
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

Welcome to the cvo forum. We've just got back from lovely 10 days in cvo - the current weather in the UK is therefore a bit of a shock to the system!

From L'Orange into town should only take 10 mins - but depends on how fast you walk!

Everyone will have their own favourites but our personal list of recommendations for newcomers to cvo goes like this:

1. Walk (based on our villa on QdP) into town via the ‘scenic’ route past Mar D’Fora restaurant and then walk up the steep coastal hill (not restaurant hill) on the other side of the square to the church at the top. Then walk along the new board walk to Algar Seco, have a drink in the café down amongst the rocks (only open in high season) or at the Algar Seco resort café/restaurant overlooking this area. Lovely views! See if you can find the hidden steps down to the rocky platform below (around half way through the board walk?)

2. Take one of the small boat trips from either Carvoeiro or Benagil beach that go along the coast in and out of the caves in calm weather – amazing rock formations that can only be seen from the sea. (Bigger boats go from Portimao quayside on longer journeys along the coast)

3. Visit Silves – lovely town in a beautiful setting, castle, cathedral, museum. Lots of cafés and restaurants to choose from and you can even get a small boat to here from Portimao or Ferragudo (only go once a day when the tide is right).

4. Visit Alvor waterfront area and town. Lovely new(ish) board walk all along the sand dunes to the estuary entrance. Great views.

5. Walk from Marinha beach to Benagil beach along the coast – around ¾ hour each way depending on how long you spend taking photos. (cafés to reward you at Benagil beach where you can also get boat trips round the coastal caves – as mentioned above)

6. Visit Porches pottery. On the N125 on the RH side soon after the International School traffic lights.

7. Visit the Fiesa Sand Exhibition at Pera (just off the N125 past Armacao de Pera). It has a different theme each year and is lit up at night.

8. Our children are grown up so this list doesn't include the kids stuff like Slide and Splash.......

9. Wine tasting: e.g. at Quinta dos Vales near Estombar - with the added attraction of the distinctly whacky sculptures around that estate - free to walk around.

You'll have a great time whatever you end up doing.
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

Echo everything that has been said in the previous posts,10 mins to walk down in to CVO is a little optimistic more like 20/25 mins.
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by CM »

I am on Monte Carvoeiro and walked to the square (with sniffing labrador) in 19 minutes….The girls walked him back and took a bit longer on the way back up!! A gale was in good form last night, and have had my first trip to the RITZ! my word its a bit different, cheap (very) and cheerful.
jupiter1972
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by jupiter1972 »

Thanks everyone. Really looking forward to 2 weeks in CVO in July x 8)
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

have had my first trip to the RITZ! my word its a bit different, cheap (very) and cheerful.
Yup, how could one forget suggesting you try The Ritz, otherwise known as Escondidinho...perhaps because, I don't think, it's quite what it was. Broken chairs, harsh lighting but good value food with a cheerful Jaoa and excellent value at about 8 or 9 euros.

It's gone upmarket ( subdued lighting in the bar, wooden tables & chairs) and ( I think ) it's about 12€ now....but you get bread & olives, soup ( never brilliant!), choice of grilled steak/pork/turkey/fish ( chicken thursday & saturday, but no soup, specials perhaps on a monday ), pudding ( if they haven't run out....coffee, port/brandy/water and 1/2 litre wine.

It used to be a regular, now more infrequent...but it's near Jupiter's place, it's a CVO institution, give it a whirl.