Rising prices

njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Rising prices

Post by njc0607 »

anywhere charging over €12 for house wine is taking the P**s...

I always found Ponto to be extremely good, both price and food wise. the chicken and bacon kebab is the best there is.. no other restaurant can compete.
and sunday lunch is an absolute bargain.. but you may need to book, to get a table
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

I worked in a shop many years ago. 2 reasons then for the 99p on things. They thought it would look 99p cheaper as people would only look at the £ amount. More importantly in the times of a manual till, the till had to be opened to give the 1p change so shop assistants were less likely to pocket the takings.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

sam wrote:I worked in a shop many years ago. 2 reasons then for the 99p on things. They thought it would look 99p cheaper as people would only look at the £ amount. More importantly in the times of a manual till, the till had to be opened to give the 1p change so shop assistants were less likely to pocket the takings.

Was in CVO last week. Slightly surprised they are not rounding up or down to the nearest 5c. Standard in Ireland. ( cheat hint : put in petrol to the value of €20:02 and they have to round down to €20. No more ‘magic’ 1c ( where you stop at say €20 and the pump goes to €20.01 before you hang up)

On the subject of Ponto: had the worst meal ever there last October, never again.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

ceh wrote:What I forgot to say was that at O Ponto we had 1 couvert, 2 mains, 1 dessert, 2 coffees and a bottle of wine. At A Rampa we had 2 couverts, 2 mains, 2 desserts, 2 coffees and a bottle of wine.

Not only was A Rampa half the price but we had more for the money and much better food!

Give it a go alf1956 - we use the twisty road through to Porches from Caramujeira. It's advisable to book - there were only 2 tables (for 2) left last Saturday night.
Hi ceb, we were over last week & went to go but it was a Tuesday & it was closed then we only had Wednesday & Thursday & we had already booked in at Ele/Ela & La Bella Vita which are our 2 favourites. We are over again in May so we will defo try it.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

We visited the Fatacil restaurant yesterday and prices have even risen there - from € 8 to € 8.50 !! - what I would call reasonable :)

For this we had soup/salad, choice of 5 meat and 3 fish dishes (fresh sole at + €4), dessert, coffee, wine or beer.

Soup was hot, all mains beautifully cooked with salad,rice and chips and service friendly and prompt - quality equal to any other €12 lunch restaurant !!
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

I have been to the Fatacil place before Roy & find it great value for money.
zygurat789
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by zygurat789 »

widge wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 pm
roy4eyes wrote: As for pre Brexit days - move on we are leaving and the pound will continue to fluctuate against the €, it always has and always will, get used to it it's what currencies do !
Why should we forget the good old days?
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Well I suppose even a post with no point is better than the recent trend of no posts at all.

Incidentally the post attributed to me was in fact made by Widge !!

In a review last week, in the Telegraph, Portugal has dropped from the cheapest holiday resort into third behind Turkey, Bulgaria and Croatia.

In spite of this I would still prefer to live/holiday here rather than any of these countries.
zygurat789
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by zygurat789 »

roy4eyes wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:08 pm Today we went to Ponto de Encontro for lunch and the price has risen from € 10 to € 11.99 - a 20% increase and this coming after a drop in I.V.A. from 23% to 13% seems a bit naughty. Taking into account the drop in value of the pound this equates to a rise of around 35% from pre-brexit days.
Let's hope this is not a general trend or the days of eating out will be for the affluent tourists only.
It will be interesting to get reports from other eateries (and drinkeries).
The point is it's like fake news, posts are make which convey misleading information.
€10 @ €1.35 = £1 is £7.40
€12 @ £1.10 = £1 is £10.90
Increase £3.50 on an original cost of £7.40 which is 47.3%. 20% of which is due to the price rise the rest is caused by the referendum result.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

roy4eyes wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 am As Pato says "it takes a controversial comment to get any response !!"

Equally as some newspaper editor is reputed to have said "the only good new is bad news !!" :lol:

Yes my Yorkshire tongue is firmly in my Gloucester cheek :wink:
Yes! the posting situation is dire, the last post on restaurant reviews was mine about a month ago and the Cvo residents about two weeks old, It's not good enough, and as you say it's BORING! BORRING! BORING!. :|
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Well said Pato.
Apart from your last post in Coffee Shop on June 3rd there has been nothing. Even worse, the last joke was from DennisG on March 28th - have we no-one on the site with a sense of humour any more ?
Although the town is packed there are no restaurant reviews - do people no longer eat out?
To be fair to residents, we rarely go into town in July - September because everywhere is so busy and parking is a nightmare.
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

I know what you both mean, we have been unable to get over to Carvoeiro so far this year due to my husband’s ill health. If we do get to make it I will definitely do some reviews :(
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Apparently 2018 Official figures show that Algarve visitor numbers are down by 10%. There have been numerous factors in play this year, as usual the football World Cup has had an impact on June through to early July as many want to stay at home and watch matches with friends, rather than go on holiday and this event has always had the same impact.

Tunisia, Egypt, Turkey and Greece have all seen a revival with very competitive prices and the troubles that blighted those destinations are firmly at the back of peoples minds. The significant prices rises last year in the Algarve will have also been a factor and the late booking market was very much down, largely due to the poor weather in the Algarve throughout April and May and swiftly followed by the hot weather experienced in the UK during June and July.

UK tour operators are offering discounts of up to 50% for unsold package holidays but with the heatwave set to return this week many Brits are staying put.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

Nowadays I find the restaurant reviews on Tripadvisor better as they are more searchable, have photos, direct links to maps, opening hours, links to the restaurants' websites and can be filtered. In addition more people can post to them. It's not a matter of apathy from members of this forum but rather that the technology of the forum has not kept up. :(
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Jaylay »

I think it is not just the style of the forum it is also that it has not attracted younger contributors. Knowing many who do still post,myself included, it is the older members of the community. I do continue to post on a near daily frequency on the relative Carvoeiro Facebook pages.