bacalau recipe

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
hancockshalfhour
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

bacalau recipe

Post by hancockshalfhour »

Please help, have friends coming round,doing portuguese evening and would like to serve bacalau, we had it with potatoes and onions and olive oil would appreciate a recipe for this or any other tried and tested recipes with bacalau, also was thinking of doing flamming sausage do i just cook these in the oven as normal sausage?.
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by bifas 1st darling! »

1. Are you sure your friends would like it, it's an aquired taste and not everyone likes it first time.
2. Are you in Portugal or UK?
3. Where are you going to buy your bacalhau, take note of the spelling :wink: ?
4. When are you doing your dinner?
hancockshalfhour
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Hi, two of friends already have place on the Algarve, and I know the same as us they love the majority of Portuguese cooking.
Im cooking here in England this time so more of our friends can enjoy.
We have a very good fish market close by that im sure will be able to supply me salt cod.
Im cooking for Friday night so realy need to get my finger out and get cracking.
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

Buy your cod on Wednesday. If it's really thick put it into cold water, skin down, on the Wednesday evening change the water as often as possible.I usually put mine in the sink, cover with a baking tray, or something that will make a noise when it falls on the floor, if you've got cats! If it's the thinner stuff then you can start soaking it on Thursday, but it must soak for at least 24 hours or it will be uneadible. I'll post the recipie later.

the chouriço or flaming sausage is easy and doesn't need to be cooked in the oven. Have you got one of those brown terracotta plates?Make some cuts in the sausage just so the skin is cut on both sides, get some alchool or vodka/medronho/bagaco, place the sausage on the plate pour over the spirit and light this will cook it. Then all you do is cut it up and eat it with bread.

Believe me this IS how it's done, I've seen it cooked on a table like this no plate or anything :shock:

This is quite good and can be done ahead and as you'll have the oven on for the bacalhau...

What about chouriço cut into slices with a small piece of cheese secured with a cocktail stick, black sausage (morcela) sliced with pineapple on top secured with a cocktail stick and dates wrapped in bacon. Arrange them on a baking tray and whizz them in the oven about 5 mins before sitting down. Always goes down a treat in my house ( I've yet to find something that they won't eat )
hancockshalfhour
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Thanks for reply will eagerly await recipe,and thanks for additional ideas,will give that a go sounds good.
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

OK this will have to be really quick as I've got a mountain of ironing to do!!

Oh, by the way this is a bung it recipie!

Cover the bottom of a baking dish with sliced onion and loads of chopped garlic, place bacalhau pieces on top, add small, raw cubed potatoes pour olive oil over everything until about a cm deep shove into a medium oven + - 180º for about an hour or until potatoes browned and cooked through sprinkle with chopped parsley or corriander serve with a lettuce and onion salad seasoned with vinagre, olive oil and salt.

the potatoes must be cut small otherwise they will take too long to cook. This is called Bacalhau a Lagareiro, well it's my version
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

Well?????
lizzieh
CVO Senior
CVO Senior
Location: Hayling Island Hants and Val Fontes De Cima Algarve

Post by lizzieh »

Sounds scrummy to me, now all I have to do is track down some Bacalhua.Liz
hancockshalfhour
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Yes thanks for the recipe but ended up following one out of Portuguese recipe book but unfortunaely i didnt rate it although guests seemed to enjoy it and some even had seconds. Have now been emailed the recipe i wanted so will have another bash soon,will report back on that one at a later date.Many thanks though.
hancockshalfhour
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

By the way the flamming sausage recipe I did was a real hit,soooooo tasty would recomend that to anyone .