Vegetarian Partner - Help!!

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
logicienne
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Vegetarian Partner - Help!!

Post by logicienne »

My partner is vegetarian ( a proper one that doesn't eat fish either! ). Apart from an omelette, does anyone know of anything that he is likely to be able to get at a restaurant and if so - at what restaurants.

Many Thanks!
Lesley Jean
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Lesley Jean »

Maximes, on the hill has good veggie alternatives, risotto, veg lasagna, etc The Thai place above O Cantino also will do lovely veggie Thai if you ask. Brasserie Marina in Benagil also has great veggie food/alternatives. There is a Pizza restaurant also on the hill.

If you ask in the restaurants you should be able to get a reasonable veggie meal. Just watch the vegetable soup they do sometimes use meat stock.

My daughter is a veggie and has never had a problem.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

My wife is also strict veggie, and to make matters worse, she is not keen on omelettes or pasta, but as LJ says, there are still many choices, and even some good ones !.

We have maintained a recommended list of veg friendly restaurants on our website here

See update on Thai. Sadly this bad experienced was echoed by a friend we met in town last week too.
lil*madam
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by lil*madam »

Barnard's in Ferragudo has a great vegetarian menu, and not an omelette in sight.
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

Hiya E Richard, Just went on the web site, wht a wonderful site. Highly recommend it for anyone to browse :lol:
kteee

Post by kteee »

It will be difficult in many restaurants, but another two with veggie options are Ele Ela and Village Inn
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Actually Kteee, I'm sure you'd agree that its a whole lot easier than it was say 5 years ago.

Another, that I haven't reviewed properly, is Medina, where the main menu changes quite frequently, but when we were there in May, the chef came up with a very sumptuous looking, slightly spicy, vegetarian platter that was excellent.
kteee

Post by kteee »

I'm not sure if it is really - not in the more traditional PT restaurants anyway

Another one if you fancy a bit of a drive - O Alambique in Poço Barreto, excellent food and always vegetarian options
Helen
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Helen »

I'd say Barnard's in Ferragudo as well. I'm not a vegetarian but when I went there the veggie menu was so nice I had both starter and main from it. Really good.
logicienne
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by logicienne »

Thanks for all the info given so far - have made a note for when we come out!!
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

In FAQ I have assigned some restaurants with a V to show they serve vegetarian meals. Click Here

If anyone knows of any more, please PM or email me the restaurant details and I will update the list.
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

e-richard I think your website is really good, well worth a look for info on restaurant choices.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Aw gee, thanks Blue :oops:

Its a very personal listing, but definitely not a chore keeping it up to date.
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

Oh I know 'it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it'. :D
wee beanz
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by wee beanz »

I'm veggie too, I've had a lovely veg. chilli in Happys on more than one occasion. If you like Indian food Indiano Restaurants do real good veggie options, its always our first restaurant to visit when we come to Cvo and hubby(not veggie) and I always end up there about 3 times during our stay! :lol: