RECIPE CORNER

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
iane
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by iane »

Fully agree with digger (again !) re the coriander - it definitely helps (as long as you've got it) but not absolutely critical IMHO - the dish can still be pretty OK without it (in my experience as many restaurants, at least down here anyway, use parsley or neither as do use coriander and mostly they "get away with it" I think).
digger
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by digger »

here’s my method:

blanched sliced carrots soaked in vinegar for a day or two. Drain, mix with olive oil, finely chopped garlic and roughly chopped coriander, a pinch of salt … serve

:D
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

iane wrote:Jane ???? - another accidental sex change ! :wink: (perhaps I need a new I D instead).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry "iane"...I really should put my glasses on...
now for goodness sake be careful... but you actually mentioned the "s-x" word :shock: and you made a joke :shock: :wink: shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I will not snitch on you (but what's its worth :wink: :lol: ) :D

Nightrider
Last edited by nightrider on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

digger wrote:here’s my method:

blanched sliced carrots soaked in vinegar for a day or two. Drain, mix with olive oil, finely chopped garlic and roughly chopped coriander, a pinch of salt … serve

:D
Digs,

Can you use any type of vinegar :!: and I am assuming as I first thought no wine? I ask the question because of course you could use a wine vinegar! I.e. iane's recipe using the wine sounds very interesting.

I have to admit that I have had difficulty in obtaining coriander. I normally try and bring back my herbs when I visit the UK...but of course in jars...

Thinking about herbs, I have sage and mint in the garden given to me would you believe by the Chief of the Portimao Jail (no I have not personally been a guest there i.e. my daugther knows the family well ...whoops I am going off thread and I do not want to be one of those who gets told off again today by the school teachers :roll: 8) 8) ) and both these herbs seem to be doing nicely out here. Therefore, have you or anyone else tried growing other herbs and if so could advise.....

Regards
Nightrider :)
digger
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by digger »

yeah white wine vinegar, not malt!

In this part of the country coriander is not a prob. spend a couple of euros in a fruit n veg shop or market stall and they’ll give you a handful free of charge, if you wink :wink:
digger
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by digger »

did somebody mention dressed crab?

my sister-in-law does a nice one …… she makes egg mayonnaise (homemade mayonnaise but Hellmans will do [called Vianeza in pt]), adds chopped boiled egg, chopped pickled veg and the crab meat.

It’s the pickled carrot that made me think of this. Here you can buy jars of pickled veg, and real cheap ….carrot, cauliflower and gherkin mixed…. drain off all vinegar and chop up to mix with the above :D
iane
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by iane »

No mention of wine in my "recipe" - it is white wine vinegar (as per the digger - again !)
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

iane wrote:No mention of wine in my "recipe" - it is white wine vinegar (as per the digger - again !)
Just testing :wink: :lol:
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Thanks to all for putting the 'carrot' recipe.
But sorry to dissilusion anyone here but..on my recent visits to CVO/Algarve this year I do believe that some eating places were using 'tinned ' carrots! In fact I feel sure,from the taste,texture,that this was the case..and I didn't enjoy those at all.
But in saying that, of course I know there was and I imagine,still is the drought situation, which must have affected supplies of the fresh carrots?
Looking at your recipe here,I think you could give cookery lessons to the Chef at Julio's..their olives and carrots couvert were 'orrible! :shock:
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

CHEESE CAKE:-

BASE
200g shortbread Bis
1oz butter

FILLING
4 eggs
6oz golden caster sugar
150g tub cream cheese
250g mascarpone
juice & zest 2 lemons
20z sultanas
2tbsp plain flour, sieved

8in pref spring-form cake tin
greased and paper lined

1) heat oven Gas 3/170ºC (160º C fan)
Food Processor, whizz biscuits to fine breadcrumbs. Melt butter, mix in biscuits, put at bottom of cake tin, pressed down firmly with back of wooden spoon.
2) Lge bowl, whisk egg yolks & sugar until pale & thick.Add cream cheese and mascarpone and beat till smooth. Add lemon zest, juice and sultanas.Sprinkle flour over top and fold into mixture.
3)Lge bowl, clean bowl, whisk egg whites till stiff and fold gently into cheese mix. Spoon mix into tin and level top. Bke centre oven 50mins, till golden brown but not quite set - should wobble slightly. Leave to cool in oven with door open. Once cooled, run a knife round edge of tin, carefully lift. Remove base with a palette knife. Serve with cream. Will keep for 4days in fridge.
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

NR asked for an 'original' Knickerbocker Glory recipe. Here's one dated 1915:

The Dispenser’s Formulary, or, Soda Water Guide
compiled by the editorial staff of The Soda Fountain
New York: D. O. Haynes

Pg. 107:
THE KNICKERBOCKER
Ice cream, 4 ounces; chocolate syrup, 1/2 ounce; raspberry crushed fruit, 1/2 ounce; whipped cream, 3 ounces; 2 brandied cherries. Place the ice cream in a glass and add chocolate syrup, some of the whipped cream and 2 dashes of essence of rose. Add raspberry fruit and then balance of whipped cream and the rose essence; top with cherries. Each of the separate portions will appear as a separate layer in glass. This sundae should be served in a tall, narrow, 10-ounce, thin glass, and the dispenser in serving should insert long spoon to the bottom of the glass just once and draw slowly towards top, so as to slightly mix the ingredients. This is done for appearance only. Fifteen cents should be secured for this sundae and all materials should be of the very best.
suzy-chigwell
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

A seasonal recipe - Stewart Cake

Post by suzy-chigwell »

This is a family recipe that we usually make at Christmas, thought some of you with a sweet tooth might enjoy it ....

Ingredients
1/2lb Plain Cooking Chocolate
2oz Caster Sugar
1 Egg
2 oz coconut
4oz Walnuts - Chopped (can use any chopped nuts)
2oz Margarine
4oz Glace cherries - Chopped

And here is what you do with it all.............

Line a swiss roll tin with foil.

Melt chocolate and pour into tin - leave to set in cool place or fridge.

Cream together margarine,sugar and beaten egg, add cherries, coconut and nuts.

Spread mixture over the chocolate base.

Bake at 325f - 350f gas mark 3 - 4 for about 20 - 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Leave in tin until cold and cut into fingers and ENJOY. !!!!!

Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

BE HAPPY !!!!
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

Thank you, Suzy for your recipe..I intend to try it (it sounds very tasty).
Happy Christmas to you.
Nightrider
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

HAPPY SPROTTS CHRISTMAS :wink: :wink: THANKS TO THUNDERBOLTXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Nightrider
who else
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

Nightrider's Savoury Cakes:(Bubble & Squeak style)
1 onion, finely chopped (Spring Onion if poss)
Left over sprotts
Left over mashed, butter,creamed & chived potatoe
Salt and Black pepper.
Mash all tog and make very small little flattish cakes and gently fry, until golden brown on each side.

I put them with cold Turkey,Stuffing, Sausage/bacon rolls. Roast potatoes,parsnips, peas and other veg etc...gravy & cranberry sauce.