RECIPE CORNER

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
Johnny Boy
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Johnny Boy »

Hi, My wife wants a recipe to make a medium curry sauce, any info would be most welcome. :wink: JB
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

HAWAIIAN CURRY:-
350G/10oz can pinapple pieces
25g-1oz butter
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp curry powder MILD
(or more or less to taste)
40g/1 and a half oz plain flour
125ml/qtr pint of milk
125ml/qtr pint of stock
(using half stock cube)
350g/12oz cooked bacon, diced
(from joint or Lidl's do an already prepared diced pack)
75g/3oz button mushrooms, sliced
saltand pepper
200g/8oz long grain rice

Drain pineapple, saving 125ml (qtr) of the juice.Melt butter and fry onion until soft. Add curry powder and flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat, gradually add milk, stock and reserved juice. Bring to boil to thicken. Add bacon and mushrooms, reserving a few for decoration. Season to taste. Heat gently. Cook rice in boiling salted water, drain, rinse and return to pan with about three and quarter pinapple pieces and stir over a low heat. Arrange border of rice around serving dish. Pile meat mixture into centre. Garnish with remaining pinapple and mushrooms.
Chicken,Lamb etc can be used instead of bacon:

CREOLE SAUCE
15g/half oz butter
15g/half oz plain flour
half curry powder
250ml/half pint milk
salt and pepper
1 tsp tomato purée
1 tbs black olives, stoned and chopped

Heat butter, add flourand curry powder, cook for oneminute. Remove from heat, gradually add milk. Bring to boil to thicken. Add fruit purée and reheat. Serve sauce garnished with carrot.

BASIC CURRY SAUCE
Can be used with almost any cooked food, inc left overs.
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
1 apple
1oz butter
half-1 tbsp curry powder
(to taste)
half tsp curry paste
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp lemon juice
half pint stock
1 tsp chutney
1 tbsp.infused desiccated coconut
2 tbsps cream or top of milk (optional)
Chop the onion, garlic and apple. Melt the fat and fry the onion lightly, add the curry powder, paste and flour, and cook for 3-4mins. Add the apple, lemon juice and stock, and simmer for a further half-three quarter hr. Stir in the chutney, the strained coconut infusion and the cream or milk, if used. Add the cooked meat, fish or eggs, etc, heat gently and serve.
Johnny Boy
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Johnny Boy »

Thanks NR, Great. :wink:
lizzieh
CVO Senior
CVO Senior
Location: Hayling Island Hants and Val Fontes De Cima Algarve

Post subject

Post by lizzieh »

Basic Curry sauce, all rough amounts, 500 grams onion red or white , 500 grams apple both finely chopped, 4-5 garlic cloves chopped or crushed, 4cm piece fresh ginger grated or 1 tsp dried, chilli to taste,finely chopped deseeded if liked, 1 400 gram tin tomatoes, 1 tbsp cooking oil.
Heat oil fry onions until golden brown, add apple garlic ginger and chilli fry 2-3 mins add tomatoes + 200 mil water or stock simmer 30 minutes.You can vary the sauce by adding 1 pint natural yogurt instaed of the tomatoes or you can just add stock of your choice.This will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge and has a really fresh taste. Liz
Johnny Boy
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Johnny Boy »

Thank you Liz. JB :wink:
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

Hot soups for cold evenings

Hearty Bean Soup

Soak between 250g and 400g of dried beans overnight in water. Drain and put in a large cooking pot. Add an onion or two, quartered, a roughly chopped carrot and a celery stalk to a litre (four cups) of cold water. Put in a ham bone or two ham hocks (a chouriço sausage can be substituted), a bay leaf, salt, pepper and some parsley, and allow to boil gently for about 90 minutes to two hours. When cool enough, remove the ham bones or hocks and put the remaining ingredients through a food mill if you have one. A blender is not really suitable so the best alternative is a potato masher. Add any seasoning required and serve hot.

Peasant Borscht

This is also a meal in a dish. Chop two or three cooked beets finely and put in a large pot with a litre (four cups) of beef stock. Chop a large onion, a carrot and a celery stalk and add these to the pot, together with a tablespoon of tomato purée and a teaspoon of dill weed. Let this come to the boil and add 250g ground beef and half a small cabbage chopped into small chunks. When these have all cooked to a soft consistency, add four tablespoons of red wine vinegar. Taste for seasoning and serve with a heaped teaspoon of sour cream on each bowl.

French Onion Soup

When I was a student in Paris, I lived near Les Halles and learned to make a good simplified version of this classic soup. Chop two or three large onions and sauté them slowly in 1/2 cup (about 50g) butter. Meanwhile, rub one slice of crusty bread (at least one inch or 2 1/2 cm) per person with a cut clove of garlic. Put a slice in the bottom of each ovenproof soup bowl. Pour a litre of beef bouillon over the onion and butter mixture, add a teaspoon of parsley and boil until the onions are very soft. Pour the soup over the bread and float a tablespoon of grated gruyère cheese over the top, then place the bowls under a hot grill until the cheese just begins to brown. Serve at once.
Algarve Resident
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

Zucchini cake (the cup measures are American cup measures)

3 med eggs, 1 cup sunflower oil, 2 cups shredded courgette (zucchini),
3 tsp Vanilla essence, 3 cups plain flour (or 1 1/2 plain, 1 1/2 wholemeal)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 3 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt.

Beat the eggs and add oil, sugar, courgette and vanilla mix well, add cinnamon and flour (which has been sifted together with the baking powder and the bicarbonate of soda.)
Mix together until all is blended well, pour into two 8" cake tins or 2 bread pans which have been greased (I also line with parchment paper) and bake at 375F, 190C or gas 5 for 50 mins, test cake with clean skewer cooked when it comes out clean (may need 1 hr) leave in the tin for a few mins then turn out on a wire rack to cool.

Somerset Apple cake

4 ozs (125 g) butter or marg, 8 ozs (225g) Self raising flour, 4 ozs (125g) sugar, 1 tsp mixed spice (or cinnamon), 1 med egg, 8 ozs (225g) peeled and diced cooking apples (or tart eaters), little milk.

Rub the flour and butter together, when like breadcrumbs add sugar, spice, egg and apples until well mixed add enough milk to make the mixture sticky. Grease and flour a 8" cake tin or bread tin, spoon the mixture in and bake at 350F, 180C gas 4 for 1 hour or until firm and skewer comes out clean. sprinkle with a little granulated sugar when it comes out of the oven. leave in the tin for a few mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
This was sent to me by Lesley-Jean. T.You
jeremy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by jeremy »

Nighty,

I love chocolate Zucchini cake - :)

Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

By a strange coincidence I am going tonight to Zucchini's restaurant in Lincoln for a double celebration - my 57th birthday yesterday, and my friend Jeff's retirement. :wink:
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

Morning Jeremy,
I have to confess that I had sort of heard of Zucchini Cake, but as far as I am aware I have never had it ......nor aware that part of the ingredient was in fact courgette...Lesley was over here a week or so back and we were all having a drink at the Thurs get together of some CVO members and I was talking about Passion Cake (carrott cake) and how much I loved it...and we started swapping ideas on what each put in....and then my
Last edited by nightrider on Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesley Jean
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Lesley Jean »

:lol: :lol: enjoy :lol: :lol:
Thunderbolt
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Thunderbolt »

Pumpkin and prawn curry

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lime
2 cloves or garlic crushed
1 onion chopped
2 ripe tomatoes chopped
1 small chilli seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon chilli paste
200ml coconut cream (not milk)
25 raw prawns shelled
pumpkin

Heat the oil, add the chilli paste and stir for one minute.
Add the garlic, chilli and onion and cook for 5 minutes
Add the tomatoes and lime juice and cook for a couple of minutes until the tomatoes have broken down.
Add the coconut cream and bring to a light boil.
Add in pumpkin previously par boiled
Add prawns and cook for a couple of minutes or until prawns are pink

It's really nice. Not too spicy, very smooth and delicious.
Made it last night.
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

I made a Spinach & cheese quiche last night..I put slightly caramelized onions bottom of pastry case..some strong cheddar,then spinach.Pour over beaten eggs & single cream..and topped with some grated Gruyere.
Oh, and I always add grated nutmeg to the spinach!
But I want help with a recipe for some 'crepes'! They were some that I had in France..and were filled with a wonderful 'ham' & dark mushrooms&a sauce..then Gruyere grated over them & fired under grill.
But I dont know how to put the filling together correctly?and cant recall the sauce?Any ideas s'il vous plait?
TA !
and if Tricky reads this..no laughing please! :lol:
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

LE ROULÉ WITH CHILLI PRAWNS AND BACON ON TOAST:-
Prep time 10mins;
Cooking time 13min
1 tbsp veg oil
4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
16 raw tiger prawns, shelled an deveined
4 spring onions, sliced
4 slices thick brown bread
1-1/2 x 125g packs of Le Roulé Garlic & Herbs
finely chopped tomato and rocket garnish

1)Heat oil in frying pan, cook bacon 3-4mins until crisp.Drain, set aside. Add chilli,prawns and cook 4/5mins, stir continously.Stir in Spring Onions.
2)Meanwhile preheat a griddle pan or grill until hot and toast the bread for 1/2mins each side until golden. Spread a thin layer of Le Roulé on each slice of toast.
3)Mix bacon prawns and top each slice of toast with mixture. Slice remaining Le Roul'e and arrange on top. Serve garnished with tomato and rocket.
SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Picadillo Soup

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

Just got back from Spain where I tried this soup - muy agradable

Ingredients for 4 servings

One quarter chicken, your favorite part.
250 grams of beef.
2 veal bones
50 grams serrano ham. (prosciutto ham will work)
1 hard boiled egg
Salt.
In a stock pot put a liter of water and salt to taste. add the chicken, beef, the bones and the ham.

Allow to cook a good while (some 20 minutes over a low heat). If you see that the water has reduced too much add a little more.

After the 20 minutes allow to cool and remove the meats from the broth. Put on a plate and break it up very finely. Also peel and finely chop the egg.

Return all of this to the broth and it is ready to eat.