Returning to Portugal?

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Returning to Portugal?

Post by Geoff »

It's beginning to look as if we can get back to Portugal from 17 May and DT today thinks Portugal may be only EU country on green list.,,,details available at eow. However, it looks as if a PCR test will be needed before return to UK, but does anyone know where to get one/how much? I found a site that said there are 2 places in Portimao, but that's still quarantined! Nothing in CVO or Lagoa?

There's also the question of vaccination "passports" to enter Portugal. In the short term, it may apparently be possible to download the details from the NHS App. Setting up this App on my phone wasn't the easiest thing to do ( needed co-operation from GP surgery), so people may want to jump through this hurdle now, rather than leave it to later!
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Returning to Portugal?

Post by PhilT »

I've been watching this with interest too. I thought the PCR test requirement was after return and within two days and any pre boarding test was antigen, possibly done at home and monitored by a professional. (Or so I read the BA website)
My major concern is that currently there's no indication that EU would recognise anything on the NHS app.
Still anticipating mid Sept!
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

I think all the press speculation is unhelpful. Just wait and see.

Agree with Phil, we're working on September and praying that by opening up sooner to the likes of Spain, Portugal isn't in lockdown again by then.

According to The Portugal Resident ..........

" About 5,000 vehicles crossed the land border of Castro Marim, in the Algarve, in the first two days after border lockdown ended and reopening of road connections between Portugal and Spain, police sources told Lusa."

"Portugal’s vaccination programme is being presented as advancing in leaps and bounds. But this is the picture powered by national media. The reality is very different, say numerous people in their 60s and 70s – some who claim they haven’t yet been contacted (when the official line is that all the over-70s will have started their vaccinations by last Sunday), while others say they simply cannot get the ‘self-scheduling platform’ to work for them.

After a weekend in which authorities insisted that traffic into Portugal from Spain was being controlled at the borders (when it patently wasn’t), this seems to be just another example of expedient spin versus the truth."

They are still trying to vaccinate all the over 70's so are way behind the UK.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I thought the PCR test requirement was after return and within two days and any pre boarding test was antigen
Yes, on reflection, think the press rumours did say that...hope so! We have fingers crossed for some sun in June!...and September....will be keeping our social distances though....
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

I suspect everything will be revealed in due course, we may have to jump through a few hoops along the way and testing a couple of days before returning home will be a slight headache. The passport, certificate, or App that we will get shortly will be more than sufficient to satisfy the Portuguese Government, I believe from somebody who works at Westminster, the App to prove you have had 2 vaccinations is only days away from launch. I'm personally looking forward with a reasonably degree of confidence to being there as planned end of June.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

the App to prove you have had 2 vaccinations is only days away from launch.
That's very encouraging.....especially as DT reports today that Portuguese Tourist minister says they will only recognise digital vaccination proof....but, as above, suggest you go through the (potential) trauma of accessing the App earlier rather than later.

As for :
any pre boarding test was antigen, possibly done at home and monitored by a professional.
Any ideas where/how this is done? In CVO or at airport perhaps?
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

NHS app already contains your personal medical record including two Covid vaccinations.

The missing part is the QR code which can be scanned and read rapidly at airports before boarding. Suspect this is presently being trialled before release. I assume it's the same technology as boarding pass scan so should work everywhere ?
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

Which NHS App? NHS or Covid-19 and flu app
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

The NHS App...as long as your GP has connected you to it, you'll see all your immunisations etc
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

I am already online with my surgery. To get the NHS app you have to sign in to NHS login. Then you can get into the NHS app (go to NHS app first you can then access the NHS Login through there). To join NHS app you then need to prove your ID and have your NHS number. To prove your ID you can use the surgery details (3 codes inc your account number) or provide copy of photo ID then do a video of yourself.
I got as far as ID then contacted my surgery to get my two missing codes. They had no idea what I was on about and need to find out! I'm now on on day 3 of trying to join the app.
The NHS app for COVID is another app altogether.
What a farce.
So if you need the NHS app leave plenty of time and have plenty of patience.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

What a farce.
So if you need the NHS app leave plenty of time and have plenty of patience.
That's what I said to start with...I ended up using econsult to get the GP surgery to respond, which they did....would have been a waste of time ringing them!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Well, good news is that Portugal is indeed on the green list , so as long as the NHS App can access jab history, getting out there should be ok.

Getting back though, you need to :
1. complete a passenger locator form
2. take a COVID-19 test
3. book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 test

1 is Ok though you need to have booked 3 first, 3 a bother but hopefully not too expensive , but with 2 you " You must have proof of a negative COVID-19 test to travel to England from abroad". Details are at : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... to-england

It seems the test can be PCR or lateral flow , and certain specified documentation is required......BUT where in CVO/Lagoa can this be done does anyone know please?
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

Regarding item 2 :
Everybody in England can get a free supply of lateral flow tests so I can't see why you can't take these with you. When you take a test you can then submit the results via the NHS web site. When you do this NHS then send you an email that records your result. So far as I can see the information in that email meets the requirements for evidence of a test (name, date of birth, NHS number, date of test, result, and provider). Also the NHS tests meet the technical requirements that have been set - else why are we bothering.

If I'm correct then it seems as though you can take a test with you, then take the test at the right time, submit the results via the NHS web site, receive the email from NHS to confirm test and be able to show email as proof.

This seems straightforward if I'm right but we need confirmation of whether this approach will be acceptable. Fingers crossed.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

I am finding this topic interesting as we are desperate to get back to U.K. to see our family and look forward to continued updates.

In the meantime if anyone is coming out, or knows someone coming out, I would be grateful if they could bring my repaired spectacles in their case (or pocket) to save all the delays of customs. Liquid payment if acceptable :D
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

In the meantime if anyone is coming out, or knows someone coming out, I would be grateful if they could bring my repaired spectacles in their case
Sure thing Rod...I'll PM you my UK address.