Colina da Lapa - Just Back

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Ernieglenman
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by Ernieglenman »

I just got back from a very relaxing and enjoyable week at the Colina da Lapa, and thought I would share with you my thoughts, which may be of help.
First off I went without any car hire and wondered if I had done the right thing. The truth is, for us it was no problem. We found there were sufficient restaurant choices for us within walking distance, indeed we did not use them all, and we also went into the town by taxi two nights.
The complex is very good with a great pool and pool area with plenty of beds. It was very quiet, which we really enjoyed, as we were able to relax at the pool reading and sunbathing whilst having the odd dip to cool down. The bar makes a nice cup of coffee and a large beer which at 2.50 euros is good value. There are also tennis courts, a kid's play area and volley ball court.
We stayed in an apartment and they are larger than average and importantly spotless clean. The pillows, whilst not as good as our own were acceptable, and the air conditioning a godsend. The kitchen is well equipped and includes a washing machine, so take less clothes and do a wash whilst you are there helping with the ever decreasing baggage restrictions. We didn't but it would be useful for a family.
There are some steps to the apartments but they should not be beyond most. The grounds are well landscaped and there are lots of birds and other wildlife. At night the complex was really quiet so if you want singing and dancing it would not have suited you. This may change as the season kicks in. We really enjoyed returning from a late meal to a nice quiet complex.
There is a really nice restaurant directly opposite the entrance to the complex called the Island Cafe, I would really recommend this. If you like American style barbecue ribs these are amongst the best I have eaten, including in America.
Approximately 10 minutes up the road when heading left out of the complex you will find a decent supermarket besides which, there is a cafe which does delicious coffee and if you want it an English breakfast. At nights they do pizza and pasta, I didn't try it but it looked good. On the opposite side of the road, a further 2/3 minutes further along, was a great Italian restaurant, Da Donato, serving excellent pizza and pastas for 7/9 euros. They do some other dishes as well. We ate here twice we liked it so much. Note the wine is great value everywhere.
Another night we dined on the recommendation of a resident in a restaurant called, The Original. This was a 30 minute walk but was well worth it and after all you are on your holidays and you see some fantastic villas along the way. Get someone to give you directions, it is worth it. The lady in the shop selling beach and fishing gear is very friendly and she will direct you.
There are two other very nice looking restaurants 3 minutes further on from the Italian on the opposite side of the road but again I did not get around to these.
We had an excellent meal in the town of Carveiro in El and Ela's, do not miss it. A taxi into the town will cost about 7 euros.
The complex provide a shuttle bus to Caneiros beach at 10.30 returning at 15.00. The beach is very nice and there is a great cafe / snack bar selling good quality food at reasonable rates. The shuttle will also take you into Carveiro at 10.45 and 11.30 returning at 16.00. It would be good if there were other timings.
The restaurant in the complex is not up to much. Do not go half or full board, sorry guys.
The staff are all very helpful and friendly.
All in all this is a very good place if you want a quieter location. You can survive no problem without a car providing you don't mind a walk. If you want more nightlife then I don't think it is.
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Colina da Lapa - Just Back

Post by Jaylay »

Sounds like a good honest review of this holiday complex, I am sure it will be useful for anyone thinking of going to this location.
dakar
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by dakar »

Ernie,

This is an excellant piece of writing with plenty of good and informative information.

I thank you for taking time to put your experience in writing as it will help me in
a couple of weeks time. Hope you will contribute again when you pay your next
visit to Algarve. Your holidays seems to have been a really enjoyable one with
plenty of good memories.
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

Well written and constructive for those thinking of staying at this resort.
Gaynor
Ernieglenman
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by Ernieglenman »

Glad to be of help.
snaj1
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by snaj1 »

Good Review. Honest and very informative.
IS the Original restaurant the one by the Tennis Club by all the posh villas.
It was our favourite restaurant but closed down.

Regards
snowytheboy
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by snowytheboy »

We were one of the first people to stay there when the complex opened and when we arrived it was about 7.30pm. We were very hungry and went to the restuarant for something to eat. I ordered a vegetable lasagne and when it arrived it looked the part. However when I started to eat it I found it consisted of pasta, cheese sauce and cabbage. There appeared to be nothing else in it and needless to say the dominating flavour was cabbage. I didn't eat much of it and so afterwards we went to a bar (downstairs if I remember correctly) and along with drinks, and as I was still starving, I ordered a cheese toastie. I don't know how they made it but it was just soggy bread with melted cheese in it. We had a great holiday but ever ate there again.
The_Quiet_Man
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by The_Quiet_Man »

I won a fully expensed week to CdL (for 4 - apartment) in 2004 - it was superb, and we returned in 2005 (to the Villas).

I would highly recommend it - as I did to the OP. It is immaculate, and the accommodation is very spacious.

Definitely worth considering IMHO. I think it was top resort in CVO in the Holidays Uncovered reviews recently.
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Canada »

Happy to hear these reviews- we have stayed there for about 5 years now. :D
Ernieglenman
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by Ernieglenman »

snaj1 wrote:Good Review. Honest and very informative.
IS the Original restaurant the one by the Tennis Club by all the posh villas.
It was our favourite restaurant but closed down.

Regards
That's the one, some super villa's in this area. :D
snaj1
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by snaj1 »

Thats good to hear Ernie
We went when it was Original and then Rodizio. Excellent 3 years running. I'm
glad its opened again. The owners who had just before it closed down were a really really nice couple
Hopefully we will be back some time
Snaj
rod...
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by rod... »

Good honest review. I should actually write one up, as it is always good for new folks to get a flavour of what a week or two in CVO is like. We also like to get out and about in the Algarve, as we always have a car. We will be back at the end of next month with the grandad kids, so will have a think about it.