Fibre optic broadband

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Fibre optic broadband

Post by alf1956 »

Just to keep away from the dreaded Corona virus I have heard that we know have fibre optic broadband in the village ?
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Fibre optic broadband

Post by sam »

I wish. Near the village centre and not arrived yet, despite what people saying.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

We are at Monte Servo & we have been told we can have fibre optic broadband, I will let you know if it happens.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Surprise we cannot have fibre optic for 2 to 3 months
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

I live off Rua do Brasil near the dangerous cross roads and after a couple of false starts I finally got my MEO fibre installed last week. The speed is excellent and I am currently getting upload and download speeds of around 120 mbps compared with my previous speed of 9 or 10 mbps at a lower monthly charge than before. I also have a MEO TV box but I doubt that I will use that.

Unfortunately In true MEO fashion there are still problems. I have a large hole in my drive which stops me getting my car off the road and the cabling currently runs over the lawn up to the house while I am waiting for the technician to return and run it through the now unblocked underground trunking which held the original copper wire.
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

We had a new junction box fitted to the front of our block of 3 apartments a few weeks ago. Checked with MEO and it said it was available, but had to request a phone call to install. It does not accept a UK phone number. About a week ago someone visited our apartment and told our son that we could telephone to get it connected, but still the same problem. Have given up and will sort it when we are next out there.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

Typical MEO. 9 days later they still have not returned to run the cable underground despite phone calls and visits from my son. One car cannot get off the property and one cannot get on! Off to Portimao to sign the complaints book on Monday.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

My son and I visited the MEO shop in Portimao on 13 July and filled in a complaint form. This was not the Complaints Book because we were advised that it would take weeks to get an answer but an internal complaints process which we were told would guarantee a response in 3 days. The only response was an interim reply saying that the situation was being analysed and a visit to the shop by my son yesterday yielded no result. I shall go there again on Monday and have a row. It is over 2 weeks now that I have had to put up with a blocked driveway and cables running over the lawn which means that the grass cannot be cut. My car cannot get into the property and my wife's car cannot get out.

Be warned that MEO customer services is a joke. Individual members of staff try to help but the system is simply not joined up. I have always found this to be the case over many years and I had been hoping that Vodafone would run their fibre cabling near us so that I could dump MEO but unfortunately I am stuck with them. The sad thing is that the internet supply through this temporary arrangement is good.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

Make sure that you fill in the Complaints Book as well. They will always try to divert you from filling in the formal complaint. There's no reason why you cannot fill in both the book and their own form.
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

Farol wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:43 am Make sure that you fill in the Complaints Book as well. They will always try to divert you from filling in the formal complaint. There's no reason why you cannot fill in both the book and their own form.
I was about to come on and say the same thing. The form may be quicker, but it diverts from external scrutiny. Hence why they try to persuade you not to do it.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

In the absence of any action I visited the MEO shop again on Monday with photos of the hole in my drive and the cable going over the ground up to my house.One of their agents filed a further report on their computer system and also advised me to phone the helpline to complain. I phoned up and after about 30 minutes I finally got through to someone who appeared prepared to try and get something done. I have since been advised that a technician will be here on Tuesday so hopefully things will finally be resolved. If not as suggested I will go and enter a complaint in the formal complaints book.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

A technician duly appeared today and belatedly the cables were put underground and the internet was reconnected. I think that MEO must temporarlily boost your speed after their work because when I ran a speed check I got 216 gps dowload and 119 gbs upload. Finally got the car back onto the property for the first time since 2 July so just a couple of big holes to fill in and pay for the repair to the cal;ada on the drive.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Had fibre optic broadband fitted last Tuesday & now get 200 mbps but still get the odd buffering & signal dropping which i cannot understand as at home we have 38mbps & don't get any of the above
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

If you are with Nowo they had a breakdown last night. We had low speed early evening - off completely for half hour and then back to normal.