Refunds from BA

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Refunds from BA

Post by ceh »

Our flight to Faro on 21 June has been cancelled and rather than rebook or take a voucher, I'd rather have a refund. When we do finally travel, I'd like to be able to chose who we fly with. To get a refund, it is necessary to ring BA and every time I try, the line goes dead! I expect to have to wait in a queue but I can't even reach that point. Has anyone else tried to reach BA? I tried their Customer Service number but that's no longer in use. I emailed BA yesterday about the phones but expect a generic response. The cynic in me thinks they're making sure they keep everyone's money. Thanks
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Refunds from BA

Post by destroyer »

Hi.

I imagine you will have paid for your flights with a card. If so, I would suggest you speak to your card company about a chargeback. You have paid for a service which has not been provided, and the relevant legislation says you should have received a cash refund within seven days of cancellation. If you take this route it will be handy to keep a note of times and dates of your calls.

The airlines will be struggling and there's nothing wrong in their seeking to persuade you to re-book or take a credit note. However, there is no excuse for them being obstructive if you want a refund, which is clearly what some of them are doing.

I've had no quibble refunds from Jet2 (for both Portugal flights and a Greek package holiday), from two apartment companies in Carvoeiro, and from Booking.com for a UK holiday). Unsurprisingly, Ryanair are the exception, living up to their reputation. Having sent me an e.mail confirming my refund was on the way, they changed their minds. All re-booking or credit note matters can be dealt with promptly, but it seems they have insufficient staff to process refunds. As I say, I'm not surprised by this and have set chargebacks in motion with my card providers, both credit and debit cards. What does surprise me is that BA have acted so badly. A number of friends have had the same experience as you. Ryanair have never cared too much what people think of them, in my view, but BA seem prepared to lose their good name over this. Ryanair have suggested that those seeking chargebacks will be banned, but I'm prepared to risk that. I suspect they will want my business when this is over, and if they don't I will use another airline.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

Thanks destroyer that's really helpful. I will get on to the card company tomorrow. I have been logging all my failed attempts to reach BA.

Ironically we usually fly to Faro with Easyjet from Luton but for a number of reasons, I decided we'd fly with BA from Heathrow. I'm regretting that now! Months ago BA changed the day for both the outbound and inbound flight and I had trouble persuading them that one changed flight wasn't acceptable due to the very early flight time which my OH couldn't manage. I know where my business will go in future.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

My pleasure. Good luck!
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Section 75, Consumer Credit Act 1974, credit card (not debit card) provider has equal liability as the service provider if there is a breach of contract.
We had flights booked for 1 and 8 June. Refunded by EasyJet, hoping late summer and winter visits.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

I paid with my Virgin debit card for some flights. Virgin were happy to consider a chargeback.
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

Still waiting for my refund from Easy Jet for April's two flights.
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

We had early May Vueling flights to Faro cancelled and requested refund. They sent us a credit and stated we needed to ring for a refund. Tried that but button told to press just got same message and list of buttons again. Tried all 4 with same result. Just tried again and pressed button for our cancelled flight date only to have the same thing happen again. Again tried a different button and this time actually got speak to someone. He said he would process our refund and it has been confirmed by email that refund has been processed so fingers crossed.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

Yesterday I was all set to ring my credit card company when I found a forum debating the problem with BA refunds. Others had had the same experience that I'd had of being disconnected. Some other phone numbers were quoted and I tried one and ignored the refund option instead going for 'other'. I got straight through to someone who apologised for the problems that I had experienced and said she could process the refund.

Whilst we'll see whether it arrives (particularly as there's been as saga with my credit card expiring, the replacement going missing and being cancelled following a house move all of which I explained) it feels like progress.

I will hold the chargeback in reserve so thanks again for the advice.
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

My first refund from easyJet for an April flight cancellation has appeared in my credit card account today. A section 75 claim had proved no more effective than a refund request, so far.