Use of cash

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Use of cash

Post by destroyer »

Toying with the idea of a break in October - our March/April holiday having been cancelled means this has been our first year since 1998 without a visit, and we're pining. Interested to know if restaurants, shops etc. are accepting cash. By no means a deal breaker but I'd bought Euros for trip to Portugal, and Greece too, also cancelled, so am sitting on a bit of a stash!
Striderman
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Use of cash

Post by Striderman »

We were out in July and cash is still widely accepted in restaurants and shops. To be honest, once you're in Carvoeiro there is very little noticeable difference apart from the fact that it is very quiet. You don't have the media generated hysteria that you unfortunately get all of the time in UK.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Thank you - very helpful. As I say, not a deciding factor, but useful to know. Just have to make our minds up whether to bite the bullet now.
Really missing our fix as we're ordinarily over three times a year. To make matters worse, someone seems to have smeared Vaseline on the lens of the beachcam, so even that vicarious pleasure is out of the window!
cnljscott
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by cnljscott »

Hi, just returned last week and yes they are.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
analogman
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Use of cash (beachcam)

Post by analogman »

Sorry to go off topic destroyer but take a close look at the beach cam, preferably full screen. You'll notice the blurred image follows a straight horizontal line half way up the cliff, stops at the sea, drops and then follows the water line a little bit on the sea side. This must be a deliberate attempt to hide the identity of those on the beach. Those that venture a bit more into the sea become clear as they exit the masked zone. It's strange because none of the other MEO beach CAMs seem to do this, as far as I noticed. Anyone know why this policy is Carvoeiro only?
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Now you mention it, that's it. I knew it wasn't actually Vaseline on the lens, and that the top bit remained in focus, but it just didn't occur to me that it might be deliberate. To be honest, the privacy issue was one I'd thought of on all of these cams in the past (imagine a night time beach indiscretion being broadcast to the world!), but I just assumed there were "accepted" rules, and perhaps signage, although I've never noticed any. As you say, though, very odd that none of their other cameras operate on this basis. Good spot.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

The privacy laws in Portugal limit the use that can legally be made of cameras to film people so maybe that is a consideration. You can't even legally film the public road with a dashcam let alone other vehicles and their drivers.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

The privacy laws in Portugal limit the use of cameras to film people without their permission so maybe this is a consideration. I would have liked to install a dashcam in my car but it is illegal to capture images of the public road let alone other vehicles and their drivers.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Which is perfectly sensible, but it makes it even odder that this camera, and many others at Algarve beaches, have been running for so long, with no blurring of any sort. And, if they are blurred, I can't see why anyone would want to set up and operate one anyway!
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Oddly enough, the beachcam appears to be back to normal, with no blurring! Maybe they read the email I sent them.
analogman
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Use of cash (beachcam)

Post by analogman »

Still blurred with me!? But only just looked again today.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Back to the subject of cash......I have been here a week and cash is widely accepted, as it always was, so no problems for you.
Back in England, i haven't used cash since February, so it's strange having coins in pocket and notes in wallet!