EHIC/GHIC & Registration

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

EHIC/GHIC & Registration

Post by Geoff »

I hadn't realised until the Daily Telegraph mentioned it today, but EHIC cards are still valid after 1/1/2021 , though they will be replaced by GHIC ( Global Health Insurance Cards) from 4 Jan . Whilst Travel ( or, at least, Health ) Insurance is recommended, it's good to know the base level cover is still there.
Details at :https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... gal/health
Last edited by Geoff on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: EHIC/GHIC

Post by widge »

Do you know whether an Astestado de Residencia certificate is sufficient evidence to qualify you to board a flight to Portugal ?

I know you need a Covid test certificate, passport etc. but it's proof of residency, if you have a UK passport, that interests me. I am not NHR and pay all my taxes in the appropriate places !
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Hi Widge

If you look at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements then it says ;
Until further notice travel from the UK into Portugal is restricted to Portuguese nationals and foreign citizens with legal residency in Portugal
So, would have assumed that the Astestado de Residencia certificate would be sufficient proof......though I had always thought that getting one also meant being liable to Portuguese tax/getting Portuguese driving licence/Portuguese EHIC card etc and only worthwhile if spending more than 6 months pa in Portugal....though perhaps I am wrong?
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Thanks for your reply Geoff.

I hope your assessment is right as we have booked expensive Covid tests at Boots Pharmacy to meet the criteria to fly.

You're right about the Atestado we did it just in case we got a "no deal" Brexit and we wanted stay more than 90 days in any 180. It only costs a few euro so seemed like a sensible move.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

we did it just in case we got a "no deal" Brexit and we wanted stay more than 90 days in any 180. It only costs a few euro so seemed like a sensible move.
Looks as if the Brexit deal will go through today, but it's still 90 days in any 180 though...it would be nice if Portugal, if not EU, granted a bit more for those with property in the country, but not holding my breath.

But don't you also need a Portuguese driving license & EHIC card if you have a Residencia.....and be liable for Portuguese taxes ( other than for income arising in Portugal) if spending >180 days in the country?
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

I don't know.

I am not a Non Habitual Resident and am domiciled in the UK for tax purposes.

I have a Portuguese registered company (my villa ) and pay income tax on rental income. I recover IVA on allowable expenses and pay the maids social security costs in addition to her salary.

All my other worldwide income is taxed in UK, I use my UK EHIC card and rent cars using my UK driving licence. I've never stayed for 90 days continuously but might like to in the future !
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I'll be very interested to see how you get on....we were put off from applying for a Residencia for reasons outlined above , but perhaps we were misinformed.....I shall enquire further!
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

Useful article on the EHIC/GHIC by Callum Mason on Moneysaving expert Web site, sorry not sure how you put a link to it :(
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

sorry not sure how you put a link to it
Thanks, here is the link:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... aces-ehic/
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Geoff wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:36 pm
we did it just in case we got a "no deal" Brexit and we wanted stay more than 90 days in any 180. It only costs a few euro so seemed like a sensible move.
Looks as if the Brexit deal will go through today, but it's still 90 days in any 180 though...it would be nice if Portugal, if not EU, granted a bit more for those with property in the country, but not holding my breath.

But don't you also need a Portuguese driving license & EHIC card if you have a Residencia.....and be liable for Portuguese taxes ( other than for income arising in Portugal) if spending >180 days in the country?
Portuguese immigration policy for longer than 90 days......This is what I have.......but now we have left the EU I don't know if you can still apply ?

If you are an EU/EFTA citizen in Portugal for more than 90 days, you need a registration certificate from your local city council to formalize your residence. Each member of your family will need to be registered. You will also typically need to sign up for social security in Portugal.

The registration certificate is valid for five years. Once you have been in Portugal for 90 days, you have 30 days to apply for your registration certificate. The cost is around €15.

Portugal immigration rules
To apply for the registration certificate, you will need:

a valid passport/travel ID
written confirmation of employment or self-employment, or that you have sufficient funds for you and your family to stay in Portugal
proof of health insurance in Portugal (if the same applies to Portuguese citizens in your country of origin).

Permanent Portuguese residence for EU citizens ..........I don't have this

After five years of uninterrupted legal residence in Portugal, EU/EFTA citizens can apply for a certificate of permanent residence to formalize long-term residency in Portugal. The permanent residence certificate doesn’t affect your EU rights in Portugal and is more of a formality.

You can apply for permanent residence as an EU/EFTA citizen in Portugal at your local branch of the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF). A list of local branches is available here. This needs to be done by appointment at any time before your Portuguese registration certificate expires. Information on scheduling an appointment with the SEF is available here, or you can make an appointment online.

While Portuguese permanent residency permits enable unlimited residence for EU/EFTA citizens, they are only valid for limited periods of time but can be continually renewed. You must check the expiry date on your permit; make sure you apply for a renewed permit at the SEF with due time.

To apply for Portuguese permanent residence as an EU/EFTA national, you will need documents such as:

a valid registration certificate as proof of uninterrupted legal residence for five years
valid passport/travel ID
two passport photographs
proof of address.
An electronic copy of the application form for permanent residence (in Portuguese) can be found here.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: EHIC/GHIC & Registration

Post by Geoff »

Portuguese immigration policy for longer than 90 days......This is what I have.......but now we have left the EU I don't know if you can still apply ?

If you are an EU/EFTA citizen in Portugal for more than 90 days, you need a registration certificate from your local city council to formalize your residence.
Interesting....but with a UK passport, we aren't EU citizens any longer ( well, not from tomorrow anyway!)...so doubly unsure as to whether it's too late to apply and whether it would enable one to stay for more than 90 days anyway.

Must say, don't think we would want to stay more than 90 days at a time , nor more than 180 days pa, but might want more than 90 days in any 180 days ( as long as its less than 180 days pa).

( Have changed topic title as its more about registration now!)
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

More interesting updates at :
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-p ... =immediate

Especially :
"Visas and residency
If you were legally resident in Portugal before 1 January 2021, you should exchange your EU resident document for a new biometric card using SEF’s Brexit portal.
Register on the portal and download your registration confirmation, in the form of a digital document, with a QR code. This document can be used to prove you are resident in Portugal when entering or exiting the country, until you receive your new biometric card.
Your EU residence document will continue to be accepted until the new one arrives or until the end of its validity."

and:
Healthcare
Everyone who is registered as a resident can also register to access the Portuguese national health service (SNS) on the same basis as a Portuguese citizen.
You should ensure you are properly registered for healthcare as a resident in Portugal. Private health insurance is available but is not mandatory and should not be a substitute for registering for state healthcare.
Once you are registered as a resident in Portugal, register at your local health centre (centro de saúde) and get a user health number (Número de Utente de Saúde) by showing your residence certificate and your passport.
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

To go back to the EHIC/GHIC. AFIK EHIC is specifically valid until it's expiry date. eg 02/02/2024 for me. The GHIC is a proposal at present that would apply to countries agreeing a reciprocal arrangement. Australia, New Zealand, Canada for example. EU hasn't agreed this yet.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

AFIK EHIC is specifically valid until it's expiry date. eg 02/02/2024 for me. The GHIC is a proposal at present that would apply to countries agreeing a reciprocal arrangement. Australia, New Zealand, Canada for example. EU hasn't agreed this yet.
I'm not sure what AFIK means, but if you check https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... gal/health it clearly states that EHIC is valid in Portugal until it expires, when you need the GHIC, see:

"You should get a free UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving the UK. If you already have an EHIC it will still be valid as long as it remains in date.

The GHIC or EHIC entitles you to state provided medical treatment that may become necessary during your trip. Any treatment provided is on the same terms as Portuguese nationals. If you don’t have your EHIC with you or you’ve lost it, you can call the NHS Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999 to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate."

So, should all be OK in that respect.
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

AFIK - As far as I know.