Jota Lita

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Jota Lita

Post by destroyer »

Apologies - this might more properly go in the Restaurants section. However, I felt it might reach a wider audience here.

I understand that Jota Lita has a sign on the door saying that when it re-opens it will be "under new management". Been visiting this restaurant since 1998 with my family, bringing my grandson along on our last visit in October 2019. We have tended to visit Carvoeiro three times a year on average and our visits to "John's" have always been a highlight. Not fine dining, certainly, but always a fine experience.

For obvious reasons our visits have been curtailed, along with everybody else's. We had to cancel our next planned visit this October, for family reasons, and it looks very much like May next year before we'll be able to get there again. Now on top of everything, no John!

Does anyone know what the circumstances are? I do hope Joao is OK. He's only around 55 I think. Maybe the situation with Covid has just convinced him it's time to call it a day? Whatever the situation, he is a man who has brought a great deal of pleasure to my family's holidays over the years and I wish him and his staff well. Whoever takes the place on has a hard act to follow.
Colana
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Jota Lita

Post by Colana »

I understand that Joao is now fishing. His sister has taken over the business.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Well, that's cheered me up.
When we first started using Jota Lita John ran it with his brother, who I understand became the town's mayor. They used to do some terribly transparent card tricks, completely deadpan, which kept all the kids in the restaurant spellbound. Happy days. We have met his sister, who lived for a while in the UK if I recall correctly. I think her husband had a high powered job in the UK in a bank. She was very nice, but John always said that the UK stressed her out. Felt people never relaxed. I believe John was "Jota" and his sister, "Lita", childhood diminutives or nicknames , but I was told that by one of the waitresses many years ago. Certainly, "Jota" is a diminutive of Joao.
Nice to think John is getting a chance to fish. I'm assuming that's as a relaxation, rather than on a commercial basis, although I think his father was a fisherman, so it's in his blood.
Colana
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Colana »

My understanding is that he is fishing commercially and enjoying the change of direction.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Even better.
Thank you for the info.
gordon
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by gordon »

We are just back and visited Jota Lita.
We had a chat with the lady in charge who I think is 'a daughter' who has just returned to Portugal after a number of years living in the UK.
It has been refurbished and while the food was good, it may have lost a little of its 'basic authenticity'.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Thanks Gordon.
Shame. Mind you, l can't wait to give it a bash!