Car hire

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Car hire

Post by Geoff »

Bit of controversy?

Back in Jan 2020 I paid 222€ for 55 days ( (4€day) : for Jan 2022 I am quoted 427€ for 42 days ( 10.17€/day). I know the carhire companies have had a rough time, but 250% increase in 2 years does seem a lot....
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Car hire

Post by widge »

That does seem steep !

I read that hire car companies downsized their fleets anticipating the decline in rental demand and cashing in on rising residuals, only to discover that, new cars were no longer available due to the collapse in chip manufacturing.

Therefore, potentially, too many customers chasing too few cars - time will tell, I guess it depends on how many tourists return this year ? Bookings for villa rentals are still very weak.
gordon
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by gordon »

Geoff,

My car hire quotes for January are almost double what they were previously!
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

Prices for April/ May are coming out at £12-20 per day for me, with the advertiser at the top of this page being nearer the high end.
Car prices have gone up, UK second hand values seem about 20% higher, but this nearly double pricing is difficult to understand.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

My car hire quotes for January are almost double what they were previously!
Oh dear....anyway, you & Janet coming on a walk?
BTW, acquaintance of ours in the village, Robin, said he met you...small world!
gordon
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by gordon »

Geoff,
Unfortunately I have an knee injury which will prohibit me committing to a long walk. We are out 20-30th Jan.
AlbrehtOnion
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by AlbrehtOnion »

Geoff wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:18 pm Bit of controversy?
https://seriale.best/
Back in Jan 2020 I paid 222€ for 55 days ( (4€day) : for Jan 2022 I am quoted 427€ for 42 days ( 10.17€/day). I know the carhire companies have had a rough time, but 250% increase in 2 years does seem a lot....
This is happening all over the world, unfortunately. Inflation and its variations affect everyone. Hard life :(
Last edited by AlbrehtOnion on Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

This is happening all over the world, unfortunately. Inflation and its variations affect everyone.
...yes, but not at 125% pa.... my pension
hasn't gone up as much!
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Geoff,

Do you not think €4 a day is a tad cheap to start with ?

It's akin to the £15.00 EasyJet fare.

I bought a car last September but need a transfer from the airport. It's €45 each way so for a 10 day visit it's €9 a day just for the transfer.

The cost of cars is prohibitively expensive as is fuel and only makes sense because hire car rates are increasing and we normally stay for 10 weeks not 10 days !
Arlberg
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Arlberg »

Our best car hire deal was in 2018 when we managed to get a car for 78 days for 79 euros.
It looks as though the good old days are over with current daily rates.
Perhaps the EU needs to investigate the pricing of these firms as they all seem to be in cahoots with each other.
idensussex
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by idensussex »

Car rental prices have taken a jump as Easter approaches. I hired a very decent Corolla Hybrid from the ever-reliable Guerin Faro during February and over 19 days the rental equated to about €10 a day, can't argue with that.

We're planning on a return in 2 weeks time for a further fortnight's stay. Searching Holiday Autos this morning I was in for a shock. Excluding the bargain basement companies (those that seem cheap but retrospectively sting you for all sorts of extras - all that glitters is not Gold) the best quote with a respectable company for a compact car (Leon , Astra etc) arrived at £645 for 14 days. If you want the reassurance of renting with one of the big boys eg Hertz you would be shelling out £1100 for the same period. Then just add in motorway tolls, additional drivers etc..

I'm busy on OLX this morning looking for a reliable old Ford/VW preferably with less than 400,000 kms on the clock...
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Zest Car Rental are a respectable bunch.

They (via Travelrent) are offering a Renault Clio for 14 days from 21st March for €275.00 !
idensussex
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by idensussex »

That sounds good - if it works out I might be able to pick you and the wife up from the airport widge !!
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

That would be very kind idensussex but on this occasion we're driving down from Santander arriving 2nd April after a Spanish excursion !

Pete's Bar will be opening on 3rd April !
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

I wonder if anyone can provide some advice, please, re car hire v. driving?
Over 30 odd years I've always hired, but a combination of retirement (longer stays) and the increasing hire charges (Higher costs against a fixed income), suggests a review. Is there any consensus on a general break even point I wonder, setting hire + flight costs against travel + insurance costs?
There are probably more subtle issues too, which a simple spreadsheet won't recognise. Help appreciated.