Car hire

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Car hire

Post by Geoff »

Prices seem to be easing for next year Yor just quoted 379€ for Clio for 6 weeks Feb/March......9€/day.
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

Geoff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:18 pm Prices seem to be easing for next year Yor just quoted 379€ for Clio for 6 weeks Feb/March......9€/day.
Hi Geoff, that sounds good! Who is this with please?

Dave
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

As above...Yor otherwise known as Algarve Driver....the people who run this site
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

Geoff wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:58 pm As above...Yor otherwise known as Algarve Driver....the people who run this site
Thanks Geoff - missed the YOR bit!
Last edited by djprescott on Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

Still worth a check elsewhere though. I used YOR for many years, several times per, but have just booked 5 weeks 17/3-21/4 elsewhere.
My supplier, with the same conditions from the P4 stand, €450, YOR, €1226
An abstemious elder couple are going to get a daily lunch out of that saving! Happy new year!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

My supplier, with the same conditions from the P4 stand, €450, YOR, €1226
Big difference.....will Steen match it?...who is your supplier pse?
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

Enormous difference. So big I didn't bother to ask.
I'm using Zest, who offer a range of quotes from P4 on site and shuttle suppliers. Master King last time, this one with Travel Rent.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Just got a price from Algarve driver and it is £120 more than economy hire which is a massive difference.
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

We require a small car for September for 15 days, in the past we have supported the site by using Algarve Driver and they have been very good. However last time we used them I had to contact Steen by email to see if he would match a price, I have just compared prices and Zest are just under 300 Euros cheaper. What are Zest like ? I would prefer to use Steen but 300 Euros is a lot of money.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Zest is a car trawler site and is OK....but it then depends which firm you then choose....some are off-site and use shuttles, which I have found time consuming, others charge for a full tank of fuel, whether you use it or not...make sure you read the small print!
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

Have used Zest many, many times for many years. They have always used a Fair Fuel Policy and free additional driver. Always dealt with any queries or problems quickly and efficiently. I recommend them.
When you get the list you can click on each one to see their terms and conditions. You can then compare what they offer and extra costs, toll transponders, deposits etc. These can vary considerably between companies, but all are clearly stated. Get one with pick up on site, pick up is in Car Park 4.
We use one of the local companies rather than the big ones.
The only one we had a problem with was a cheaper off site one. 5 minute shuttle turned out to be 10, add in waiting time it was about 20. I queued up at the hire office and the guy started serving the man behind me. I pointed out that I was there first and he said he would get to me after serving 'this gentleman'. Clearly not a fan of single women. He completed all the paperwork then asked me if I wanted a transponder. When I said yes he said' well you cannot have this car then. Why didn't you say so". We then had to complete another lot of paperwork, only to go outside and find the car boxed in. This was my fault apparently as I had changed my mind. Eventually got the car having spent well over an hour with them and they were not busy. Returning the car was pain if you got in the wrong lane to turn left.
carolyn
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by carolyn »

Can second the above post - used Zest for more times than I can remember - never had any problems. If you do need any assistance they answer immediately Always use the hire companies in P4 as don't want to hang around for shuttles. We have also used them for one way hire - pick up Lisbon, drop off Faro
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

A further second for Zest. Used YOR for many years but their pricing's gone beserk since the you know what.
Currently driving a group 3 from LC rent. Fresh air con, built in sat nav, electric windows and mirrors.
In Sept 12-28 the same car is 480 v YOR's 780!
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

Yes, can't understand it but YOR are considerably more expensive and their cars are not the newest, not that I mind that.

Having said all that, Steen has always price matched without any quibble so I stick with them!
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

I too have switched from Yor to Zest after 20 years. Steen's price matcvh doesn't apply in peak months and not only are Yor rental prices now considerably more expensive but as stated above Travel Rent via Zest provide much higher spec cars. Aditionally Yor excess was €950 to €1250 compared with Travel Rent's €400.

Loyalty bonus of 10% is available from Zest after you make enough bookings.

Only downside with Zest is payment in advance.