Arriving in Portugal

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Arriving in Portugal

Post by Geoff »

DT reports today that Passenger Locator Forms are no longer needed ( for fully vaccinated people) and that Portugal has made travel for UK citizens easier by introducing dedicated egates, so hopefully no more queuing at Faro.
Wonder if they will be relaxing the 90/180 day regime...
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Arriving in Portugal

Post by sam »

New regulation is a bit vague. Visit Portugal says:-

The law that required filling in the Passenger Locator Form on all flights to Portugal has been revoked, so it is no longer necessary to present it at the time of boarding.

Does that mean we no longer need one, we need one but do not need to present it, or we need one and only need to present it on arrival?
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

My understanding (Portugal News this morning) is that it is the intention to abolish it, and this happens when formal notification is published. So, soon.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

With regard to the 90 / 180 rule it applies to the whole Schengen area, not just Portugal. That means the total number of days that you spend within any of the 26 Schengen zone countries (including Norway, Iceland, and Switzerland).

It looks like the EU are encouraging greater harmonisation of visas ( types and consular application ) and rigorous enforcement of the 90 day rule. The political point is "Free Movement" for member states only and punishment for EU leavers.

Fines and Passport flags are being issued to overstayers which might prejudice decisions to allow re entry to the Schengen Area and or future visa applications.

Each member state applies its own border control policies, hence Portugal's relaxation of travel locator forms and e gates, but can't overrule Schengen or it would be chaos.
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

Do we have any idea what date the passenger locator forms will be scrapped? my friends and I are due to arrive 4th May
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Do we have any idea what date the passenger locator forms will be scrapped?
DT says "From Saturday"...presumably meaning 30 April , so you should be OK in May....i won't be, going 27 April.
KenC
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by KenC »

Communiqué from the Council of Ministers of April 21, 2022

The Council of Ministers today approved the declaration of the alert situation throughout mainland Portugal until 11:59 pm on May 5, 2022, and introduced changes with regard to measures to prevent and combat the Covid disease pandemic -19.

Given the positive evolution regarding the epidemiological situation in Portugal, the Government decided to review some of the restrictive measures still in force, namely:

- the mandatory use of a mask is limited to places characterized by the special vulnerability of the people who frequent them (health establishments and services, residential structures, reception or home support services for vulnerable populations or the elderly, as well as units of long-term care) and to places characterized by intensive use (collective passenger transport, including air transport, passenger transport by taxi or TVDE);

- the Passenger Locator Form is revoked, and it is no longer mandatory to fill it out by passengers on flights to or from mainland Portugal or cruise ships when they dock in mainland Portugal;

- the rules for carrying out diagnostic tests for SARS-CoV-2 are no longer fixed, and it is now foreseen that their performance can be determined by the DGS;

- the EU Digital Covid Certificate in the test or recovery modality or other proof of laboratory performance, negative test under the terms defined by the DGS and INSA or vaccination booster dose certificate is no longer required, for access to residential structures and for visits to health care establishments, with the DGS being responsible for determining specific standards and guidelines for the protection of the most vulnerable populations.

(We have no further information and will publish the full legislation when it is available. )

https://www.portugal.gov.pt/pt/gc23/gov ... tros?i=483
KenC
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by KenC »

Geoff wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:15 pm
Do we have any idea what date the passenger locator forms will be scrapped?
DT says "From Saturday"...presumably meaning 30 April , so you should be OK in May....i won't be, going 27 April.
You are OK Geoff, as it is in place already. See above with this being the relevant para:

- the Passenger Locator Form is revoked, and it is no longer mandatory to fill it out by passengers on flights to or from mainland Portugal or cruise ships when they dock in mainland Portugal;
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Thanks Ken...UK Govt website hasn't been updated yet though...
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

UK Govt website has now been updated...just need proof of vaccination/recovery now.
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

Where does it actually say the Locator forms are no longer required on the GOV UK Site ? it quite clearly states it on the Republic of Ireland Government Site, maybe I'm being a bit dim.
KenC
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by KenC »

It does not state this specifically as it does not list anything that you do not need to do, only things you do need to do. Hence, the reference to the PLF for the islands.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

From Today's Telegraph ......

"Portugal no longer classifies Britain as a ‘third country’. This means UK travellers are able to make use of speedy e-gates rather than join non-EU travellers in the queue for manual checks. However, they must still get their passport stamped after passing through the e-gates as it is currently the only way to check a traveller’s length of stay. The expectation is that the move will still significantly cut queuing time.

This special channel can also be used by travellers from Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Japan and the new rules are in operation at the following airports: Lisbon, Faro, Porto and Funchal in Madeira.

Are there plans to change the EU’s current manual system?

The European Union will soon move to a more automated border-check system for all arrivals. While too late for summer holidays, the ‘Entry/Exit System (EES)’ will potentially be introduced by the end of this year and aims to “modernise the management of external borders by improving the quality and efficiency of external border controls.”

It will replace manual passport stamping with self-service kiosks which will record biometric data (fingerprints and facial images) and the date and place of entry and exit.

Whether this translates to a significantly more seamless experience for non-EU travellers remains to be seen but the move from man to machine generally speeds up processes – though not without teething problems, of course."
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

This means UK travellers are able to make use of speedy e-gates rather than join non-EU travellers in the queue for manual checks. However, they must still get their passport stamped after passing through the e-gates
The egates weren't working yesterday, but a lot of the manual gates were and got through in record time with virtually no queuing....I am sure he stamped passport, but can't see it! Think I might have problems leaving??!!....looks like another trip to Faro!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I am sure he stamped passport, but can't see it! Think I might have problems leaving??!!....looks like another trip to Faro!
Our reception rang the airport immigration people, who said it was a mistake not to have stamped the passport, but all recorded electronically, so no problem in getting back......so , I hope they are right.

Does make you wonder why they need to stamp passports then ....I suspect there could be problems if I went back via another EU country though, as doubt the Portuguese epassport system talks to the French/Spannish ones ???