Footings for brick BBQ

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Footings for brick BBQ

Post by EMM »

We have finally decided where we want to install our brick BBQ. The area is currently gravel . As these BBQs are very heavy what depth and type of footings will we need to support it.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Re: Footings for brick BBQ

Post by Bruce Wallis »

EMM wrote:We have finally decided where we want to install our brick BBQ. The area is currently gravel . As these BBQs are very heavy what depth and type of footings will we need to support it.
You are joking!
Footings? If you want a flat base, clear off the gravel, and lay a couple of paving slabs.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

As they can weigh up to 500kgs, I think I would need more than a couple of slabs to keep them stable and level.
keela
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by keela »

If I were you, I would get a builder to do this work for you. If you want the name of a good reliable builder who will not rip you off, give me a PM and I will let you have his name and number. He is the one we always use for building work.
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

so, the bloke who knows more about fish than Rick Stein, more about car insurance than Aleksandr Orlov, more about airlines than Richard Branson & more about music than Simon Cowell doesn't know how to dig a hole in the ground & pour a bucket full of concrete into it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

a 500kg bbq to cook chicken wings for Mr & Mrs EMM????

I haven't the faintest where this thread will end up but I think it'll be entertaining following, I'm hooked :shock:
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

At least EMM will be able to advise would be BBQ builders the ins and outs of barbecue building when his supa dupa barbie is up and running :D
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Sunman, even you probably have more musical taste that Simon Cowell.
Where we want to put the BBQ is on a slope and the soil is very very sandy hence the need for pretty substantial footings.
It probably would be a good idea to get a builder in but I did think that some one on the forum might have done this sort of thing themselves.
PS Sunman here is one for you.
Our car was run into , nothing serious but you have to call the GNR.
They arrived no problems took all the details etc. Then one commented that we were lucky it was not a UK reg car that hit us as they would probably have driven off without giving us any details or for the police to arrive.
Obviously all tarred with the same brush.
Actually Bruce I have built them but she who rules says she wants a proper BBQ this time, not one that uses foot scrapers and large baking tins ( but they worked ).
mixerman
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by mixerman »

if it's going to be that subsantial i think you may need planning permission ? have you applied to the camera ?
bazza
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by bazza »

Oh come on EMM only wanted some advice and you all take the piss, no planning needed just some concrete.

But I think the reinforcing rods for the piles should be 1 inch thick at least. :roll:
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

No footings needed for this model, just a smear of cement to stop it moving !

[URL=http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

I suggest you look for a Chinese individual to advise and build, they have a reputation for erecting very substantial brick buildings. 8)
davethegreat
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by davethegreat »

Hi Emm if you give me a call I will have a look at this for you and give you free advice on what's needed.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

davethegreat wrote:Hi Emm if you give me a call I will have a look at this for you and give you free advice on what's needed.
You should change your username to "Dave the Grate" :lol:
James Faro
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by James Faro »

You see, at the very end..........some kind soul will come to the rescue and help out. Well done, DaveTheGreat! :)

EMM, you building a traditional Portuguese-style barbecue or the plain normal slightly rectangle shaped one?
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

James Faro wrote:You see, at the very end..........some kind soul will come to the rescue and help out. Well done, DaveTheGreat! :)

EMM, you building a traditional Portuguese-style barbecue or the plain normal slightly rectangle shaped one?
Why James? does it affect the finished product? :roll: