IMI

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

IMI

Post by Farol »

I normally receive a bill for IMI in March that needs to be paid by the end of April. However I have just checked my account on the Financas on-line site and it says "Contribuinte sem notas de cobranca no Imposto Municipal Sobre Imoveis", i.e. nothing is due. The same is shown on my wife's account. As we have had the property for many years and I can normally pick up the bill on-line and pay by bank transfer from my Portuguese bank account I don't understand why the system says we don't owe anything.

Have I missed an announcement of some sort?

Has anybody else received their bill in the last few weeks for payment during April?

Has anybody else had a similar problem in the past?
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: IMI

Post by steve »

Now that you mention it I have not yet received any IMI demand. Perhaps there has been a delay in issuing them this year and that this is why the records show that you don't currently owe anything.
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

I believe the due dates have shifted to a month later than before.
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

Have not had mine. Just googled it and found
“IMI” due one month later in 2019. There are new deadlines for the payment of the Municipal Property Tax (“IMI”). Instead of running between April and October as before, tax settlement will take place between May and November in 2019.
sanreen
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by sanreen »

Yes, the IMI is due May and September this year. It is also possible to pay the IMI by direct debit. We sorted ours out in March at Lagoa.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

Just found this http://info.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt ... amento.pdf on the Financas web site. It confirms May for the first installment but also says August for the second :?
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

I thought the 2nd instalment was November and the 3rd instalment was August with the requirement to pay in 2 or 3 instalments being based on increasingly large annual totals. :? :? :?

... but the 'official' document only refers to two instalments while https://www.economias.pt/quando-pagar-o-imi/ mentions three?
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

The first set of invoices have now been issued for payment during May. Looking on-line it also shows when the second payment will be due and this is shown as November.
Mexican Pete
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Mexican Pete »

I have just discovered that my rogue lawyer and "Fiscal Rep" has made off with over €1,400 IMI and Additional IMI payments that I've made to him but which he has not passed on to Finanças. Faint hope I know, but is there anywhere I might go for redress?
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

My solicitor emailed me to say that IMI is now due in May, August and November depending on rateable value
Sheila
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Sheila »

You can still pay it May in one go if you want to. I cant remember how i did it but there is a button online that gives you the full amount and a different ref.
Mexican Pete
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Mexican Pete »

Can someone please tell me what the IMI rate for 2020 was fixed at for Lagoa? That is, in respect of the payments that will be payable in 2021.
The rate for 2019 was 0.36% and from what I've been able to find, it seems the 2020 rate may have been slightly reduced.
Any help gratefully received!
Thank you, Mex
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Mexican Pete wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:54 pm Can someone please tell me what the IMI rate for 2020 was fixed at for Lagoa? ...
I suspect that you may be planning a little far ahead but in due course the 2020 rates will be visible at https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt ... MIForm.jsp
Mexican Pete
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Mexican Pete »

I suspect that you may be planning a little far ahead but in due course the 2020 rates will be visible at https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt ... MIForm.jsp
Hi Richard, many thanks for your prompt response.
I think there is a difference in our understanding of the payment schedule for IMI. My understanding is that IMI is paid a year in arrears. i.e. the payments we are making this year relate to the 2019 IMI. If you look at the Finianças payment schedule sheet in respect of the payment due by the end of this month, you'll see that the Ano de imposto is 2019.

Thank you also for the link you sent. I had already been there and while it allows you to look at the 2020 rates, there is no reference to Lagoa on the list as far as I can see; which is a bit odd. The only thing I can think, is that Lagoa is now included in some other municipality.

Thanks again, Mex
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Mexican Pete wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:39 am... while it allows you to look at the 2020 rates, there is no reference to Lagoa on the list as far as I can see; which is a bit odd. The only thing I can think, is that Lagoa is now included in some other municipality.

Thanks again, Mex
The corresponding figures for 2019 were published at https://cm-lagoa.pt/index.php/pt/ju-dow ... -e-derrama in January 2020. I would expect the 2020 rates (payable in 2021) to be published in January next year. The earliest opportunity to pay IMI next year is 5 or 6 months from now. What's the rush?