Winter heating

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
mardi
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Winter heating

Post by mardi »

Hi all,
I’m after some recommendations for heating.i have a 2 bed town house and could do with some heating for occasional winter stays. Does anyone have an idea of how much wafer radiators would be to install? Pros and cons. Or whether it would be better to install air con, I’m not sure which would be the most economical.
I would also need to upgrade the electricity that comes into the house to cope with the extra power the heaters would take. Does anyone know how much that would increase the standing charge?
Many thanks for any help or advice.
Van Muylem
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Winter heating

Post by Van Muylem »

Joaquim Jacob from Lagoa can help you for that.
Rua de Liberdade 70, 8400 Lagoa
info@jjacob.pt
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

If you are with EDP you can look up online what the extra charges will be. You are talking about increasing the Potencia. We have a 2 bedroom apartment with a log burner in the lounge which backs onto the main bedroom. After a couple of days this acts like a large radiator and heats the apartment. We have a couple of oil filled radiators to top up if necessary. Usually only used for the first couple of days.
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

We also have a 2 bed apartment and a log burner,it warms our lounge and dining room area plus as Sam mentions it will eventually warm our main bedroom wall up.We find the oil filled radiators pretty good.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

I also have a 2 bed townhouse. I used to use oil filled rads and they were fine but slow to raise the temperature when we arrived, although held it well once the place was up to temp. They are cheap and easy to buy and I would not expect them to be any more expensive to run than wafer rads as they are both powered by electricity and used convected heat. Wafer rads seem more the choice if you run them while the property is empty - something we have never found necessary in 20 years. However, we eventually had air con installed and have never regretted it for one second. They heat the roooms in the winter and bring them up to temp on arrival far quicker than any radiator would and then in the summer you have all the cooling benefits and proper sleeps at night. Installation cost varies based on room size, windows, how many units, type of unit, etc so you need to get a professional quote. If you get inverter units they are efficient to run and the running cost isn't an issue for me given the benefits of better heating in the winter and cooling in the summer. One last point air con systems will have a frost/low temp setting so could be left on when you're not there.
mardi
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mardi »

Thank you so much for your reply. Air con is another option as pre installation was put in when the property was built. The reason I hadn’t considered it was the expense of running. I have presumed that air con is a lot more expensive to run. The other down side is the ugly outside units. I have never felt the need for the cooling aspect because I don’t come out in the heat of the summer, our bedrooms are always naturally cool.However I think I will get a quote and find out a bit more about what’s available in air con these days.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Hello, air con these days is much more economical than it used to be as they use the same principle as the heat air source units that are used for heating swimming pools. I had some fitted last year by a guy who was very good & very competitive price wise
mardi
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mardi »

Thank you for replying, that’s another vote for air con. Don’t suppose you’d like to share the guys details?
williew
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by williew »

We had aircon put in a few years back in our townhouse on AdM and it is superb as a back up heater. We also have wafer radiators but they are rarely on. Log burner heats lounge & dining room.

No need for fire at moment and if it gets cold we simply turn on air con. Also nice on in bedroom about ten mins before you go down.

Another vote for aircon! - but make sure you get movement sensors on the units!

Willie W
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

mardi wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:50 pm Thank you for replying, that’s another vote for air con. Don’t suppose you’d like to share the guys details?
No problem his name is Jason & his company is Euro cooling, I will get you his email & number etc in the next 5 minutes
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

williew wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:02 pm We had aircon put in a few years back in our townhouse on AdM and it is superb as a back up heater. We also have wafer radiators but they are rarely on. Log burner heats lounge & dining room.

No need for fire at moment and if it gets cold we simply turn on air con. Also nice on in bedroom about ten mins before you go down.

Another vote for aircon! - but make sure you get movement sensors on the units!

www.eurocoolingalgarve.net 00351 91232 4600 Tell him that Alf from Monte Servo recommended him he will remember my job.
Willie W
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Hello mardi
Jason who supplied & fitted our villa with air con was very helpful & gave us various options on different types of units with varying prices, he also fitted the system when we were still in the UK & our manager let him in & out & when we arrived 2 weeks later you could not tell he had been apart from the new units. Very professional.
mardi
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mardi »

Hi Alf,
Was Jason from Euro cooling? If he wasn’t would you mind sharing his details? Would you also mind giving me an idea of price for the units and the fitting charge? Thank you for your reply it’s very helpful getting other people’s opinions.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Hello mardi, yes it was Jason from eurocooling his details are on a previous post, I cannot remember the cost as it was last year but he gave me 2 or 3 price options with different types of air con