a good local bank?

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
astrid
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

a good local bank?

Post by astrid »

We are not too happy with our current bank which insists that one buys their house insurance when one just wants to open a simple current account, so we are thinking of switching to a new bank...

Does anybody have recommendations for a good bank (good conditions, no nonsense), with an office in Carvoeiro or Lagoa?
cnljscott
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: a good local bank?

Post by cnljscott »

I’m not sure about the opening hours at the moment due to the lockdown but we would definitely recommend Millenium (pink logo) branch just down from bakery. We went to the dancing horse and were told the same - we could only have an account if we took all of their products. Millenium have an account with NatWest so you simply transfer funds into their NatWest account, it is then converted into Euros at a good rate and paid into your Millenium current account or savings account without a transfer fee. The staff are also really helpful and the App is great and user friendly.
cnljscott
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by cnljscott »

Sorry - it’s not a dancing horse (don’t know what I was thinking of there :oops: 🙄. Santander!
astrid
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by astrid »

Thank you very much for this advice, it is very helpful! I will pay them a visit as soon as it is possible.

p.s. I think it is supposed to be a flame?
carolyn
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by carolyn »

Would second the recommendation for Millennium. They village branch has always been helpful, and online and app easy to use, as is the money transfer from UK .
astrid
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by astrid »

Thank you very much for this advice ! I will definitely check their conditions.

Does anybody have experience with the Credito Agrícola? they also have a branch in Carvoeiro...
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

carolyn wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:45 pm Would second the recommendation for Millennium. They village branch has always been helpful, and online and app easy to use, as is the money transfer from UK .
Agreed. They do have lots of products as well, but not used any yet, and not pushed at you. Lots of info on line on these.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

I've banked with Millennium in cvo since 2007 and have found them very helpful and friendly - nothing is too much trouble.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

I would also advise Millenium