Leaking pools

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Leaking pools

Post by maccasa »

Approx 4 months ago noticed that my pool needed topping up frequently - The one bill arrived for €130 and then next one was €160. I statrted checking levels and found I was losing approx 1 small tile level each day (~1") my pool is 11.5 x 5 m so this represented around 40-50 litres per day. No Obvious signs of leaks and I started closing down parts of the system. Eventually I isolated it to one of the main front end inlets. This meant a large digging process to uncover and find it.

However I consulted various literature and learned of a leak sealant, called Lo-Chlor , which acted like the newer car tyre puncture sealant - inject into the tyre and it goes hard in contact with air at the tyre leak.

I bought a 1 litre container and followed the (easy) instructions of
a) switch off pump
b) pour contents into the skimmer
c) wait 30-45 mins
d) switch filter valve to recirculate on by-pass
e) leave running for at least 8hrs and then switch off overnight.

It worked and after test running for another 3 days I never lost any further water.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Leaking pools

Post by widge »

Thanks for sharing your experience, sounds like a great cheap and easy fix.

Do you think it would work with other leaking systems e.g. Underfloor heating, solar panel circulation ?
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Leaking pools

Post by maccasa »

I have the feeling that if it went into a system with a small bore, you might find that it blocks the complete bore - it says not to run with the filter in line, it must be bypassed when treating.