Duties of a Fiscal Rep

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Duties of a Fiscal Rep

Post by Farol »

There is a good article here which helps to explain things https://www.theportugalnews.com/news/du ... tive/52334
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Duties of a Fiscal Rep

Post by sam »

We do not have income arising in Portugal. So, do we still not need a Fiscal Rep?
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by biffa »

If you own a property and are non EU resident you must appoint a fiscal rep whether you receive income or not.
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

When we tried to do it on line you needed a notarised letter from the proposed Fiscal Rep. So not straightforward if still the same.
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by biffa »

Hi Sam, only the appointed fiscal rep can register. This is NOT a do it yourself job. First contract with a professional experienced fiscal rep provider and they will sort it. This is a more complicated and serious appointment than many realise. It is basically an accountancy function - not the bloke that cuts your lawn! I have seen recommendations of all sorts of people that make me tremble!
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

biffa wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:40 pm Hi Sam, only the appointed fiscal rep can register. This is NOT a do it yourself job. ...
What is https://sitfiscal.portaldasfinancas.gov ... tantesForm for, if not a do it yourself process?
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by biffa »

Richard perhaps my reply was misleading as all I intended to say is that the responsibility of fiscal representative is much more onerous than many realise and, as the owner of a potentially large investment, one sould be careful of whose hands that responsibilty is placed. Imagine one appoints Joe Soap (in some cases Joe would haveto be VAT/IVA registered in fact) and Joe receives the annual IMI and forgets to deal with it. Eventually you would pay interest and fines and worse case scenario (it has happened) your house is up for judicial auction!

Yes you can nominate a fiscal representative on the AT (portal das finanças) site, however the nominated fiscal representative has to accept this nomination. A code is then sent to that nominated fiscal representative and they have to log in the portal das finanças site with their credentials to accept the nomination.

In my view it is a long winded way to deal with the issue. Just find a good responsible fiscal rep and let them do the whole job properly for a reasonable initial fee
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

Thanks for the clarification.

As an ex-owner I'm happy not to have to deal with this (imho) unwelcome layer of bureaucracy. I made full use of the Portal and the ability to pay taxes etc by direct debit and therefore could see little benefit to me in having a representative. Many of the problems we experienced over the years of non-resident ownership were a consequence of intermediaries failing to do what they should have done, so I can't disagree with your suggestion to get a good responsible one - especially if you're dependent on them.
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by biffa »

Richard that was a positive/negative response to my suggestion and I am sorry to hear you had a problem.

It may be worth pointing out that appointment of a fiscal rep is no longer an option but rather a necessity in respect of UK residents who have property here since the UK left the EU and EEA.

Without checking right now I think the time limit to do so is by end of June.