EDP CHARGES

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

EDP CHARGES

Post by maccasa »

Due to covid I have not been at my house since mid Nov. Since then I have received electricity bill from EDP approx €180 every 2 months. I reckon these were high and estimated, as the only power usage was the pool pump (4hrs/day) and the two fridges, plus the gardener for a few hrs each month probably using the electric cutters for the hedge and trimming branches etc. but as I thought it would all be consoladated soon, I didnt bother to do anything. just got a bill this morning for €400! showing consumption for mar/apr as double that for the previous 2 x 2months. I am getting a neighbour to read my meter for me tomorrow, but is there any way I can contact EDP - the chat line is useless as it's only standard questions. I want them to do an actual reading to give me a correct price!
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: EDP CHARGES

Post by sam »

If you are registered on line with them you can enter your readings. We had a new meter fitted and at first we had to enter readings, but they now seem to be able to read the meter remotely. you can also look at your bills on line. We got a high bill (about 400euros) in July a couple of times so we started reading the meters - they can tell you when is best time to send readings - they sent us emails a couple of times. Now with the new meter we just check it occasionally and bils seem to be more stable and usually cheaper than before. If you have one of the new meters there are 3 readings to take. If your meter is outside they will notify you of the change and do it if you are not there.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Thanks for the info - I dont have a new type meter but fortunately my neighbours read the meter for me and I have sent it to EDP within the 3 days specified. Interestingly the bill I received was for €401, with a total for the 3 readings given as 1683kwh. The actual readings came to a total of 210kwh, so I am expecting a big reduction!
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

If the last actual reading (yours or EDP's) was a while ago they will, at the top of page 2, charge for all consumption between the two most recent actual readings. Lower down there will be a Nota de Credito to correct for any previously billed estimated consumption that exceeded your actual consumption, between the earlier actual reading and the previous invoice.

210 kWh for 2 month's pool pump at 4 hrs/day plus fridges seems optimistic. Might an electric water heater have been left switched on or come on if a solar water heater is malfunctioning?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Our place is empty, but our neighbour checked for a couple of months and it's 1.4kw per day just for TV standby, router, oven clocks....no fridge left on, nor pumps. We send readings every month based on this usage.
astrid
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by astrid »

It could possibly be that your electricity meter is no longer working properly, if it is of the old type (with a turning wheel).
A few years ago we suddenly had soaring huge EDP bills, in the low season, with nobody in our house. We then asked our maid to read the meter every month: it turned out that the counter was going forwards and backwards randomly! EDF now installed a modern "smart" meter, and we no longer have this problem.
I recommend to keep a close eye on the readings and bills: get someone to read your meter a regular intervals , set up your EDP online account, and enter your readings yourself, check the EDF bills carefully etc.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Further to the saga - as well as getting a bill for €400 for the apr-may period when I wasnt there, I got absolutely nowhere trying to get them to investigate it. I therefore decided to go with Meo and then got a further bill from EDP for the final 35 days of may-June 13th of €251. (I was at my house from 3 June and left on july 3rd) I just got my first months bill from Meo, which obviously included nearly 4 weeks when I was there. It was €97!

I believe EDP fiddled the meter to give higher readings!