Portuguese Residency

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Portuguese Residency

Post by alf1956 »

Hello fellow members
A friend of ours is going to live over in Carvoeiro & wants to obtain residency in Portugal but the criteria has changed since the UK left the EU & it has apparently become very complicated.
They have been told that they must reside in Portugal for 6 months which i believe is correct but then i am told it becomes a bit hazy as they have been told that they must rent a property for 6 months & have a written contract that then has to be registered at the Fiscal office.
Can anybody shed any light on this please?
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Portuguese Residency

Post by maccasa »

There is a general lack of correct info on this subject. You certainly dont need to spend 6 mths in PT and it also depends on whether you are going for habitation residence NHR (90 days in 183) or full residency which takes 5 years to achieve.

Best is to contact brexit@sef.pt which is the government dept. in PT which handles this. They are a little slow to reply but are good and reply in english and portuguese.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

maccasa wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:29 pm There is a general lack of correct info on this subject. You certainly dont need to spend 6 mths in PT and it also depends on whether you are going for habitation residence NHR (90 days in 183) or full residency which takes 5 years to achieve.

Best is to contact brexit@sef.pt which is the government dept. in PT which handles this. They are a little slow to reply but are good and reply in english and portuguese.
Thank you maccasa
Brian117
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Brian117 »

Hello to all,

I am planning to return to CVO as a property owner after a gap of 10 years. Now I'm in the fortunate position of being able to stay for extended periods this subject is of great interest. I've done some research, but I'm still unclear on how the Golden Visa scheme works. Does anyone have personal experience of this? At my age the prospect of having to wait 5 years for full residence is not that attractive!

By the way, I do agree with all the comments about the website. Although I had to sell up 10 years ago, I like to keep up with what's happening, and I do miss the newsletters and the old webcams with live video feed of the square. Happy days!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I'm still unclear on how the Golden Visa scheme works
Main problem, probably, with this is that property investment in Algarve doesn't count from 1 Jan this year.....Sovereign do a range of leaflets on Golden Visa, NHR and D7 residences, which seem to b e the only ones, unless you marry an EU citizen or have an EU grandparent!.....otherwise Shengen rules apply.

There's a lot more at : http://www.forum.carvoeiro.com/viewtopi ... 9&start=15
Brian117
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Brian117 »

Hi Geoff

Not so Golden Visa then! Marry an EU citizen? Might have to speak to the wife about that.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

When did you buy your property Brian ?

If it was before Brexit then you have / had rights under the withdrawal agreement. You may have missed the boat !!!

I registered my property and secured residency rights via the SEF last year but am awaiting biometric I D card. See separate post on this forum.
Brian117
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Brian117 »

Hi Widge,

I was not aware of this. Bought in 2004 and sold in 2012, so could be worth further investigation, or have I missed the boat?
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Hi Brian,

If you no longer own a property I think that you have missed the boat.
Brian117
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Brian117 »

Thanks Widge.
Looks like we will have to be satisfied with a maximum of 180 days a year, still better than 180 days in Bromley!!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

180 days a year
I agree...problem is, it's 90 out of 180 days which means we can't do four months there in the winter!....180/365 would be much better!