Nin Habitual Residency

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Geoff Simcox
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Nin Habitual Residency

Post by Geoff Simcox »

Hi,

Can any one advise me , please, whether it is still possible to obtain NHR in Portugal, without being tax resident. I have tried to get an appointment with SEF in Portimao, very frustratingly, without success so far.

If there is an idiots guide Website, I could visit, that would be magic.

Geoff Simcox
Geoff Simcox
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Nin Habitual Residency

Post by Geoff Simcox »

Non Habitual Residency - not "Nin" !
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

Plenty of information via google, where I've done a bit of research for my own info. Basically it will depend where the income is generated and if there is a double taxation arrangement with that country. That's earned income, pension income is taxed 10%.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Geoff,

This is a complicated and ever changing situation.

Under the terms of the withdrawal agreement expats in Portugal were granted an extension to apply for residency.

SEF in Lisbon have a dedicated Brexit team who are extremely helpful and knowledgable.

Detail below...............

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Brexit line through the number 21 711 50 45, available every working day from 08:00 a.m. to 08:00 p.m.
Geoff Simcox
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Geoff Simcox »

Thanks for the info
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Can any one advise me , please, whether it is still possible to obtain NHR in Portugal, without being tax resident.
Geoff,

As an update to your question. I received this from SEF recently...........

Dear Madam/Sir,

We hope this email finds you well.

Following your request to be updated on the new residence registration procedure in Portugal, we hereby inform that the Immigration and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras - SEF) has updated their FAQ’s here.

Please note that, although all information on the registration procedure has not yet been made available, as per the updated FAQ’s, namely “HOW CAN I APPLY FOR THE CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION?”, SEF is officially advising UK nationals covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, who are still not registered, to send an email requesting the issuance of the new residence document to brexit@sef.ptattaching their identification documents and proof of their stay in Portugal before the end of the transition period (31st of December 2020).

As soon as IOM has further updates on the matter, we will inform you accordingly.

Kind regards,

UKNSF team

I received an official certificate and Q code within days which evidences my application and enables me to reside in Portugal, time unlimited, pending the interview and biometric data collection at my local camara, for which there is a long waiting list.
Geoff Simcox
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Geoff Simcox »

Thanks Widge.

I have submitted everything to SEF that they have asked for and been told it is being considered and I will be told what to do next f it is approved. You seem to have been dealt with differently, if you can now reside pending interview and biometric data

Geoff
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Hi Geoff,

This is the response I received. I have redacted the confidential security codes for obvious reasons.

Hope this helps.

Dear Sir/Madam

Following your message sent to brexit@sef.pt, we are pleased to inform you that the supporting documents that have been sent confirms your status as a resident under the Withdrawal Agreement.
It is now necessary to issue a residence permit. Thereby, for this purpose, you must register on the BREXIT Portal at https://brexit.sef.pt. On the registration form you should use the following token?????? to identify yourself (no spaces left or right).
Following this registration a QR Code will be issued certifying your status in Portugal.
Later SEF will notify you by email about scheduling an appointment so as to obtain your biometric data (photo, signature and fingerprints) which will integrate the personal information on your new residence permit.
The appointment will be held at a Town Hall that offers this service. You can choose a date and time for your appointment from the available slots in the Town Hall that is offering this service closest to your residence area.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Brexit line through the number 21 711 50 45, available every working day from 08:00 a.m. to 08:00 p.m.

Best regards,

Please do not reply to this message.
Geoff Simcox
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Geoff Simcox »

Thanks Widge for your continuing help. It seems that you cannot register unless you can give the number of an existing residence certificate, which I do not have, or a token (?) which presumably i will get if he documents I have sen already pass muster.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Your conclusion is correct Geoff. I expect you will receive an email shortly.

You can ring the SEF in Lisbon to try and expedite, they are very helpful.