Electricity Prices

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Hinshaw
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Electricity Prices

Post by Hinshaw »

I wondered if anyone had any experience of some of the newer electricty suppliers in Portugal?For a number of years I have been with YES, previouslyknown as YLCE, but I did a price comparison at ERSE recenly and they are more expensive than Iberdrola who are relatively expensive in Portugal and , as Scotish Power,in the UK.

The most competeitive prices quoted by ERSE were from Gold,Endesa,Galp .I am cautious about very competitive prices , particularly in the current market where quite a number of the smaller UK suppliers have folded because they did not buy long term and so have been badly affected by soaring energy wholesale prices.However as energy in Porugal aseems a good bit more expensive that in the UK that may not be so likely to be a problem for suppliers here.I am paying about €0.2407 per kWh with a daily charge of about €0.793- it is a 3 phase supply..YES were very competeitive for a number of years but I suspect that that is no longer the case.

Any thoughts or experience gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Hinshaw
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Electricity Prices

Post by steve »

I switched last year from EDP to Goldenergy based on the figures quoted by the sales agent and confirmation that these included IVA. It turned out that they did not include IVA - misleading or misunderstanding? Also the quoted discount did not apply to the standing charge and this actually proved to be higher than that of EDP. On my first couple of monthly bills I calculated that I saved about 18 euros in total compared to the EDP charges. I doubt that I would have bothered to change for this level of saving but I have to admit that the service from Goldeneregy has been without problems.
Hinshaw
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by Hinshaw »

Many thanks, Steve, most helpful.

Hinshaw
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

Having received my first bill of 2022 from Goldenergy I made a comparison with the current EDP charges. I found the following results ( all figures exclude IVA)

Goldenegy EDP
Potencia per day 1.8833 1.5281

Vazia unit cost 0.0933 0.1078

Fora de vazia unit cost 0.1939 0.1627

These figures are for a 20.7 KVA bi horial supply on the basis of direct debit payment and electronic billing.On the basis of my last months usage the charge after IVA from Goldenegy would be approximately €38 more than from EDP. I have written to Goldenergy to see if they have any better deal before I consider a switch of supplier