Gurka/Nepal restaurant

smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Gurka/Nepal restaurant

Post by smudger »

Four of us went to the new Gurka restaurant and impressed with food. At first glance thought helpings were rather small but turned out very satisfying. They do a carry out service but heard waiter tell someone could be up to an hour for carry out meal to be ready.
bugsey
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Gurka/Nepal restaurant

Post by bugsey »

Where is it?
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

We have a Gurkha /Nepalese Restaurant in Buxton the food is fine along with the service and surroundings,however I don't think it differs a great deal from a lot of Indian food.As previous post where is it? :) :)
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

It’s up the road that takes you from restaurant hill to Algar Seco, The Wolf sits on the corner!
If you get one of the Carvoeiro Freemaps, it’s number 54.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Amazing how different peoples views of a place differ so much ! On TripAdvisor it is the number 1 Indian restaurant in Carvoeiro but we had possibly the worst Indian meal since we came here.
My prawn biryani had what appeared to be deep fried small prawns in unspiced rice with a bland vegetable sauce and my wife had a lamb dish in what she described as unspiced Bisto. The friendliness of the staff was beyond reproach and, when we commented that the medium was in fact bland, said that we should have ordered medium to hot.
It will be interesting to get other comments in the hope that our experience was a one-off bad day.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

roy4eyes wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:53 am Amazing how different peoples views of a place differ so much ! On TripAdvisor it is the number 1 Indian restaurant in Carvoeiro but we had possibly the worst Indian meal since we came here.
My prawn biryani had what appeared to be deep fried small prawns in unspiced rice with a bland vegetable sauce and my wife had a lamb dish in what she described as unspiced Bisto. The friendliness of the staff was beyond reproach and, when we commented that the medium was in fact bland, said that we should have ordered medium to hot.
It will be interesting to get other comments in the hope that our experience was a one-off bad day.
Shame about your visit, for Indian I was under the impression Pashmina (former Bistro 72) was the place to go. When we went to Gurka, didn’t choose Indian style dishes. Like you interested in other views.
PS only went there as family wanted to try. When I’m here like to do Portuguese, as they say “when in Rome”......!!
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

For years we have considered the Bollywood indian in Armaçao de Pera to be the best in the area. They have now opened in CVO so it will be interesting to get a report/ comparison between the two.

Why don't we try for ourselves ? Because there are too many b----y tourists at this time of year and we cannot park anywhere near :lol:
leMene
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by leMene »

Yes! The same one that was at Armacao. Same people.
Best in town. Maybe a bit expensive comparing to other indian food restaurant but well worth it.
Spices and cuissine are no joke here.
Did lower my taste of Pashmina...
Tony Knight
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Tony Knight »

Morning from sunny Carvoeiro (only until Friday I'm afraid). We think that Haweli Indian restaurant is the best in town. Although we're only able to have takeaways, and I may be biased since we've been going there for a few years. Staff are very friendly as well. Tony
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by CM »

We did Peshmina and Gurkha last Thursday and Friday, Peshmina first and the lads were gutted we didn't go back, Gurkha staff really nice people but the food is not as good as O indio or Peshmina.
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by CM »

Allreet Phil!
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Don't Tell me the boys were on tour again Col?
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by CM »

I think so….in fact I am almost certain, there are rumours….but alas if you can't remember it, did it happen?
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

leMene wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:56 am Yes! The same one that was at Armacao. Same people.
Best in town. Maybe a bit expensive comparing to other indian food restaurant but well worth it.
Spices and cuissine are no joke here.
Did lower my taste of Pashmina...
Which is the place that has opened that is owned by the same people form Armacao ?
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

Visited this Restaurant either the 5th or 6th of October with my wife and brother, surroundings extremely pleasant and comfortable made even better by the staff ( one being Lib's last former sidekick the name escapes me ) we have all dined in Nepalese restaurants before and this must rate as being in the top 2/3. I cannot remember what everybody had, but I chose Mo Mo to start with and the Sherpa lamb Curry, both were excellent also tried an Indian Beer I had not had before. All in all it was a good meal and experience from start to finish.