Irish Times

miramyra
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Irish Times

Post by miramyra »

after hearing a lot locally about this bar, went for the fish and chips on our last night having had a great stay and visiting local restaurants and bars and on the whole impressed with the standard. At €7.50 a shout, although very tasty and well presented, nice and hot, not impressed with the portions. Come on guys half a doz chips and a few peas does not cut it. It's all about value for money these days to keep us ol' Brits happy. Sorry to speak as we find as on the whole had a great time in Carvoeiro, perhaps we should have gone back to Jota Lita or Lanterna Velha which were lovely and excellent value for money.
Mira M
joanne
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Irish Times

Post by joanne »

I hear the Breakfast is good by my cousin, but we have never fancied the place, think Bars should stick to drinks and let the Restaurants sort the food, if you go back go to Happys for fish and chips.
kteee

Post by kteee »

We've had take away fish and chips from Irish Times - very good

Not impressed with happys version at all!
SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

kteee wrote:We've had take away fish and chips from Irish Times - very good

Not impressed with happys version at all!
Happy's does takeaway???? :shock:
kteee

Post by kteee »

No, the eat-in fish and chips - I really don't see why people rave about Happys!
joanne
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joanne »

I think people rave about it because it is good value for money, fab staff etc, no they def do not do take aways but at their reasonable prices you dont need to, this is a reply to why everyone raves about Happys, but each to their own, and they must be doing something right as they are booked up for weeks in advance.
kteee

Post by kteee »

I guess they are but I've tried happys several times but still don't get it. I don't like the over-familiar service (and I know libbe quite well) or the squashed together tables and I just don't think the food is that good

I've tried to like it but I just can't!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Happy's is all about atmosphere, not about food.

Just like Jailhouse is all about noise and nothing to do with good music :D

When people are on holiday, they just want to have fun, and if mine host makes them feel good, its easy to ignore the fare.
I see far too many rave restaurant reviews based solely on how the waiters/owner fuss over the guests. Nothing wrong with it, just that its reviewing something different.
joanne
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joanne »

Yes Richard agree on your points, I cannot go in the Jailhouse either, yet the owner(forget his name) is lovely.
Bristle Si

Post by Bristle Si »

Couldn't agree more with the last few comments. Happy's does exactly what it says. We visited 3 times on our 11 night visit a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely love the madcap humour and atmos, and luckily i'm not allergic to other people, as sometimes you are sat within about a foot of the next table! I can handle that especially after a few drinks, good food and a feeling of being wanted in the restaurant!

Jailhouse - haven't been there for a few years. Never really did much for us. It's so corny you either love it or not!
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I love the fish and chips at Happys, the rest of the menu i can take or leave,
but we always have a great night there and enjoy catching up on all the local gossip from Libbre
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

Happys is like Marmite - you love it or you hate it. - I love it and so far so does everyone who I have taken there!! :D

The only problem with the large fish and chips there is managing to eat all of it :lol:
kteee

Post by kteee »

Well that explains it - I don't like marmite either :wink:
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

[quote="kteee"]Well that explains it - I don't like marmite either :wink:[/quote]

Nor do I - 'orrible stuff yuk ! :shock: :x
joanne
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joanne »

I hate it, but love Happys.............