Elle & Ela closed

alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Elle & Ela closed

Post by alf1956 »

I am saddened to see that Elle & Ela has closed down & the notice on the windows just says that for the time being please use Chefs table. I am wondering if the opening of Chefs table has lead to the demise of Elle & ela but whenever we have been in it always seemed as busy as ever. I really hope that they will re-open in another location with the same team of Claudio who always gave you a warm welcome.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Elle & Ela closed

Post by smudger »

The sign mentioned opening at a new location but the new location has been covered up with Snopake. :?
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

We were down in the centre yesterday & walked past Elle & Ela & one of the staff saw us & came talking to us & told us that the reason for closing was that the landlord or landlady had offered them a new lease but at the 11th hour increased to an unreasonable amount so the upshot of that was that had to get out of the building rapid & some of the staff were tidying the place up as apparently the owner told them that if they did not leave it tidy they would be charged €500 ! We were told that the owners of Elle & Ela are gutted because they have been there for 17 years & though tthat that would create some loyalty from the owners but it was not the case.
hedley
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by hedley »

I do hope they find another venue as it was my favourite place. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I liked the fact it was cosy and buzzy.

Seems rather sudden and odd re the lease though?

Surely there are conditions in the lease that prevent such eleventh hour ransom demands.

I’m sure it will all come out in the wash though ....
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

I was told that the new lease was offered at a sensible increase but before the owners were due to sign the new lease the owners of the property hit them with a massive rent increase which was not viable so they had to give the keys back.
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

This seems to happen on a regular basis in Carvoeiro with restaurant owners and the owners of the properties. Seems to be a bit short-sighted on the part of the property owners.
hedley
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by hedley »

Having taken a peek at some of the asking prices for shop / restaurant premises/leases over the last couple of years it amazes me how any of them manage to make ends meet.
We are after all talking about a relatively short high season with 2 or 3 fallow months per year.

I know I couldn’t run my business based on a 9 month year !!

Based on a the previous two seasons which were very good then compared to this season where every establishment I’ve been to has been considerably down on numbers.

The landlord may have motives but that was one of the better businesses that’s has been turfed out if the story is true ?

Let’s hope something good comes out of it and the team at E&E can relocate and rise above the current predicament.

Having been coming to CVO for many years I have my favourites and often wonder how some of the restaurants survive. To be frank some of them don’t deserve to and manage to achieve a certain level mediocrity, that it always puzzles me how they are open year after year, often based solely on a prime position.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

The biter bit I'd say. We stopped using this place years ago when we regularly saw them give away reserved tables and shrug their shoulders when customers turned up who had booked them, cram people in, and show a disinclination to be polite if you weren't a special chum. Too much choice around to put up with that sort of nonsense.
PaulGoode
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PaulGoode »

It is a shame that Ele and Ela has closed. Hopefully they will find a new location in the town as soon as possible. We had many meals there and never had cause for complaint. Our booked tables were always available on time and where we asked to be situated. The food was consistently excellent and the service from Claudio and the team was first class. For such superb food beautifully presented it was great value for money.

We are back in late October and hope they will be open again somewhere. No complaints here!