Travel Chaos

Please use for all posting related to the volcanic ash travel chaos
Graham
CVO Master
CVO Master

Travel Chaos

Post by Graham »

It seems this is going to be going on for an indeterminate time now. As a community website is there anything CVO.com can do? - maybe a special section where people can ask for and offer help to those stranded? Are there people without accomodation that could be linked up with owners that have had guests failing to turn up? I think people's holiday cash will start to get stretched - maybe restaurants could offer a discount to those with proof that they are marooned? Can the car hire companies help in any way (what are their policies on keeping the car longer than expected?)

Anyone got any thoughts?
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Travel Chaos

Post by fmm »

Sadly, the restaurant owners are also being hit with people not coming out for their holidays - not sure that cutting their prices will help anyone other than the few in Cvo. WHoever is there will need to eat in or eat out more cheaply.

By the way, it is possible to get home. I went to Faro to sort out a train, nothing from Lisbon so went to Seville instead. While there, a group of 32 brits/dutch joined forces and we have commissioned a coach to take us to Calais for 150 euros a person. At Calais, I have arranged (providing we get there in time) for a driver to bring a car over, pick me up and take me back. £25 return including passengers. THat is all booked. No foot passenger can get across until Wednesday athe earliest, but get someone from the UK to come over with a car and they can take back as many as fit in the car.

Started out at 7am Saturday morning, and should be back in theUK (fingers crossed) about 2pm on Monday afternoon.
Steen Jakobsen
Site Admin

Post by Steen Jakobsen »

As a community website is there anything CVO.com can do? - maybe a special section where people can ask for and offer help to those stranded?
I'll make this post a sticky so it stays on top.

I can arrange transfers to Santander/Spain and Calais/France but getting ferry tickets seems near impossible at the moment.
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

My sister has been told she can't get back to cardiff until earliest next Monday and that is if all is well, she has had extra expense too but they are going to try sit this out until they get a flight and will try to live as cheaply as possible As I said in another post, travel companies aught to look at putting on coaches to get us back. The BMI Baby website does not give survival information only what has been cancelled so I guess from that point of view your on your own. Thank god it's my sister and not my elderly parents who be very confused by all this.
Gaynor
KenC
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by KenC »

Steen Jakobsen wrote:
As a community website is there anything CVO.com can do? - maybe a special section where people can ask for and offer help to those stranded?

I can arrange transfers to Santander/Spain and Calais/France but getting ferry tickets seems near impossible at the moment.
I'm potentially interested in four seats on a coach to Calais. I'm sure I could drum up some additional interest. However, I've looked into the Santander (and Bilbao) crossings and there was nothing I could see for over a week so don't see that as a viable option for the time being.

I can be contacted on crawford-k@sky.com and will be checking my e-mails regularly.
completecarvoeiro
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by completecarvoeiro »

A colleague of mine is offering 4 people back to London at 3,000 euros later this week or next week plus ferry charges,also looking for a return from the UK only 3 spaces left £2000.
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

completecarvoeiro wrote:A colleague of mine is offering 4 people back to London at 3,000 euros later this week or next week plus ferry charges,also looking for a return from the UK only 3 spaces left £2000.
Car? - coach? - whatever - I think your "colleague" (bearing in mind you state you are retired) is looking for a fast buck.

I'm sure he/she's not the only one. :roll:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Enterprising website: http://volcanohelp.eu/ridemap.html

Hasn't built up any traffic yet, but looks promising and is attracting lots of interest on Twitter, so please retweet with #getmehome and with some luck it could take off very rapidly.

[declaration:I have no commercial interest here, but wish I had thought of it earlier]
completecarvoeiro
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Hampshire Rich or Dick is it,me being retired at such a young age seems to have brought out the green eyed monster in you,dont be bitter envy is a terrible thing,if you had worked as hard as me for 25 years and had as many brains as i you too would also be in my position,but your not..........

The car,a Bentley is now full going back to the UK and has only 1 place coming back,free enterprise,a wonderful thing,me i shall be lying by my pool here in the West Indies for both legs of the journey,so your little assumption is a little way off the mark.

Hope the rains stopped in the Algarve now,let me know when it has and i may pop back there for a bit.
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

completecarvoeiro wrote:Hampshire Rich or Dick is it,me being retired at such a young age seems to have brought out the green eyed monster in you,dont be bitter envy is a terrible thing,if you had worked as hard as me for 25 years and had as many brains as i you too would also be in my position,but your not..........

The car,a Bentley is now full going back to the UK and has only 1 place coming back,free enterprise,a wonderful thing,me i shall be lying by my pool here in the West Indies for both legs of the journey,so your little assumption is a little way off the mark.Hope the rains stopped in the Algarve now,let me know when it has and i may pop back there for a bit.
Will you be travelling with your pool?
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

I feels so umble to be on the same forum as simon cowell or someone who thinks he is simon cowell :lol:
hel
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by hel »

Steen Jakobsen wrote:

Can you provide details of getting to Calais, shall I send you my e mail address so you can contact me direct?
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

completecarvoeiro wrote:Hampshire Rich or Dick is it,me being retired at such a young age seems to have brought out the green eyed monster in you,dont be bitter envy is a terrible thing,if you had worked as hard as me for 25 years and had as many brains as i you too would also be in my position,but your not..........

The car,a Bentley is now full going back to the UK and has only 1 place coming back,free enterprise,a wonderful thing,me i shall be lying by my pool here in the West Indies for both legs of the journey,so your little assumption is a little way off the mark.

Hope the rains stopped in the Algarve now,let me know when it has and i may pop back there for a bit.
A true entrepreneur your colleague! - make money out of people's suffering - and you worked "hard" for 25 years - well done! Seems to me you are one of Thatcher's shining princes! I'm sure all the hard-working people who read this site and have worked for 30 years plus are really pleased for you.

Let's hope there are plenty of decent people offering transport on this site who will do it at a reasonable price - and I'm sure there will be.
completecarvoeiro
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

LOVE IT
Gambrinus

Post by Gambrinus »

keep it on topic please, guys.