Air space re-opening

Please use for all posting related to the volcanic ash travel chaos
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Air space re-opening

Post by PTBUXTON »

How relieved am I it look's like my wife and I will make it after all to CVO, restrictions are going to be lifted gradually over the next 24 hrs starting with scottish air space, yes I know it sounds a bit selfish but to get away from the hum drum of life in England for a time and this bloody election, will come as a great relief.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Re: Air space re-opening

Post by cereza »

Better make a quick getaway because the news is that another ash cloud is on its way :shock:
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Latest on BBC news is that scottish airpace movements could be very limited due to new risks.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

EMM wrote:Latest on BBC news is that scottish airpace movements could be very limited due to new risks.
It was N. Ireland on my news!
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

The report was from Glasgow airport.
For us in the SW it could be a long wait before flights start up again.
Bristle Si

Post by Bristle Si »

Looks like the news stations last night 'jumped the gun'. Only a few domestic flights from Scotland to the islands early today. Looks like they're closing again later.
Doesn't look very promising.
A few of us are meant to be flying out of BTL to Alicante with Ejet on Friday morning, but i'm concerned that if we fly, airspace could shut again by the weekend and then we wouldn't be able to fly home. Trouble is if the flight was ok on Friday we wouldn't be able to get a refund for cancellation, so i'd rather know by Thursday morning and just forget it (if you see what i mean).
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

My flight on EJ today has now been formally cancelled and I have been offered a full refund or a free transfer to another flight within 30 days. As usual with EJ customer service there are no advertised telephone numbers but upon investigation the only numbers available are premium numbers with one of them being an 09 number possibly costing up to £1-50 per minute!! The best option as I have found it is to follow the "Help" option on their web site and follow the instructions under "Disruption due to volcanic ash" section. I have since received e-mails and a text from EJ confirming the cancellation and my application for a full refund. So far the question of my return flight is not clear. They mention that if I roll forward my outward flight within 30 days then I can also roll forward free of charge the return flight by the same amount of days so as maintain the length of my holiday. However so far I cannot see if I will get a refund for the return if I so wish. I know that usually a return flight is forfeited if the outward flight is missed so I assume that I will also get a full refund for the return but this is not clear and I fear that EJ will try to avoid the refund if that return flight does fly as per schedule. The problem is I cannot get through to any of the phone lines to find out for sure since they are constantly engaged.
I have now arranged to drive down and that will give me the security of knowing that I can drive back if the ash cloud continues to disrupt flights.
With the cost of car hire so high now at least I will save a lot by having my own car while in the Algarve.
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

what gets me is that when you go any any airline website there is no email contact for questions which would free up urgent telephone calls , pathetic to say the least. I could not operate my business without it.
gaynor
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Latest from NATS, Southern UK airspace to remain closed for today, Manchester MAY reopen tonight.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

Gary/Gaynor wrote:what gets me is that when you go any any airline website there is no email contact for questions which would free up urgent telephone calls , pathetic to say the least. I could not operate my business without it.
gaynor
Quite right Gaynor. My experience with Gatwick car parking was much better. A short wait on the telephone and then a simple solution with an immediate full refund which I was a little doubtful of since I had booked a siuper saver price which I feared was not refundable. So easy and customer friendly which means I will use them again.
joanne
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joanne »

I live 5 mins from Manchester Airport and have seen one plane all day, so does not look good again.
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

Sat looking out of the window of my favourite Indian restaurant skyward's, how pleasant it was to see within the space of 2mins two planes heading due south flying very possibly from Glasgow as they were already at high altitude so it would seem something's or should I say some planes are on the move at last that was approx 7.55pm I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :) :) :)
snowytheboy
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by snowytheboy »

It has been announced on the ten o'clock news that all airports are as 'of now' re-opened.